BDS is a multi-disciplinary defense office representing low-income New Yorkers in criminal, family, immigration, and civil legal matters. Our expertise lies in the intersection of these legal systems that disproportionately impact poor, Black, Latinx, and immigrant communities.
BDS represents thousands of people each year who have diverse, complex, and multi-faceted legal needs. In addition to a zealous legal defense, our interdisciplinary teams of attorneys, social workers and advocates provide a wide range of legal and advocacy services, including housing, public benefits, education, and employment issues. BDS is a public defense office where staff work collaboratively and across disciplines to deliver high-quality legal services that serve the people we represent, their families and communities in Brooklyn.
At Brooklyn Defender Services, Human Resources is a people-focused department, responsible for steering the organization in a direction where policy and programs work together to benefit BDS’ 450 employees. The team strives to ensure all BDS staff have access to the support and resources needed to help the organization pursue its mission. Our focus is to attract, engage and retain committed and dedicated staff who represent a wide diversity of identity and experience.
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Human Resources, the HR Analyst performs a variety of system configuration, data analysis, and process analysis responsibilities to help the department operate more efficiently and effectively.
· Systems administrator for the HRIS system (ADP), configuring fields, data tables, and reports.
· Assist HR colleagues in use of the HRIS to support their operations, for example, preparing and processing batch payroll updates.
· Create/prepare reports and dashboards with HR data.
· Analyze metrics and trends to draw conclusions from the data and make recommendations to improve processes.
· Understand the various HR processes and identify ways to further automate and streamline them.
· Work with senior management to plan and implement HRIS projects (e.g. using additional ADP modules and training staff)
· Create and maintain calculation tools in ADP and/or Excel for HR staff to use e.g. for leave, payroll, & salary calculations.
· Configure and improve methods for data transfer/integration between BDS and external benefits providers.
· Create and deploy automated forms and workflows using technologies such as Microsoft Forms, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and DocuSign.
· Write user procedures/manuals for use of the HRIS and other HR systems.
· Assist with filing all annual HR reports to various government agencies i.e. EEO, 5500, etc.
· Additional responsibilities as assigned.
· College degree or equivalent experience.
· 2+ years data analysis and/or systems administration experience preferred. Experience gained during college coursework and internships will be considered.
· Highly adept in learning new technology systems, exploring their capabilities, and identifying how to apply those capabilities to an operational process.
· Able to understand and analyze processes and identify opportunities for improvement; prior process mapping experience is a plus.
· Experience working in HR, and specifically with ADP, is plus.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Able to write the steps of a process in a way that allows the reader to know what they must do.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive information that must not be shared with others.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, salaried position. The normal schedule is Monday to Friday 9am-5pm, and the position is based at BDS’s offices in Downtown Brooklyn, NY 11201. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, most work for this position would initially be conducted remotely, but the job description remains the same. We work with staff to ensure that essential in-person functions are conducted as safely as possible, and will continue to do so as in-person work increases over the coming months.
Salary is determined commensurate with education and experience, starting at $55,000 for a candidate with a college degree and two years relevant experience. BDS also offers comprehensive benefits including health and dental insurance, short-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution, pre-tax commuter benefit, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, and above-average vacation, sick, holiday, family, and medical leave policies.
Click “Apply Now” to submit a cover letter and resume. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. BDS highly recommends submitting your application no later than September 27, 2021.
Brooklyn Defender Services is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse work environment and supports a nondiscrimination policy in all employment practices. We are focused on equity and inclusion and thus strongly encourage candidates of all identities, expressions, orientations, disabilities, experiences, and other characteristics that make us different to apply. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or another reason, you may contact the Director of Human Resources, Christina Wallace, at cwallace @ bds.org.
BDS is a multi-disciplinary defense office representing low-income New Yorkers in criminal, family, immigration, and civil legal matters. Our expertise lies in the intersection of these legal systems that disproportionately impact…