Details: Salaries depends on experience and is negotiable for candidates with exceptional experience.
30 Bow Street
Better Future Project is looking for an experienced and dynamic development professional with a passion for grassroots organizing, movement-building, and climate action to help oversee the organization’s next stage of growth and development. The Director of Development is responsible for, in partnership with the E.D., ensuring the organization’s successful identification and actualization of funding sources (especially major donors and foundations) to enable to the organization to continue on its growth trajectory to address the climate crisis, including a focus on identifying.
- Devising an annual plan for fundraising initiatives and establishing a fundraising calendar with input from the Executive Director; developing revenue projections for annual budget
- Identifying and qualifying prospective major donors; identifying new foundation leads
- Conducting major donor cultivation in partnership with the Executive Director
- Drafting letters of intent, grant proposals, grant reports, and other fundraising materials and working with the Executive Director to revise and edit these materials prior to submission or presentation
- Supervising the Development Associate’s ongoing stewardship of small and mid-size donors and other projects
- Managing donor profiles in NationBuilder database
- Leading grassroots fundraising initiatives with input from volunteers and other staff
- Convening the board fundraising committee and working with board members on fundraising activities
- Serving as the lead organizer of fundraising parties
- Assisting the Director of Operations with revenue reporting and preparing fundraising reports for the board.
- Other duties as required
As a member of the Leadership Team, the Director of Development meets regularly with other team members to discuss organizational priorities and challenges, such as staffing issues, proposed organizational initiatives, and so on. The Director of Development also leads discussion and drafting of the development aspects of the organization’s annual plan and is expected to actively participate in the organization's strategic planning.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (e.g., communications, nonprofit management, English) or equivalent work experience
- Work experience: At least 5 years’ work experience demonstrating progressive levels of responsibility; at least 2-5 years’ direct fundraising experience
- Requirements and preferences:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize under deadlines and juggle multiple tasks at once
- Database experience
- Passion for grassroots organizing, movement-building, and climate justice
- Experience cultivating and soliciting gifts of at least five figures
- Fluency with Microsoft Office suite
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Experience writing grant proposals
More about Better Future Project
Better Future Project (BFP) is a dynamic organization dedicated to building a powerful grassroots movement to address the climate crisis and advance a rapid and responsible transition beyond coal, oil, and gas toward a renewable energy future for all. We empower new leaders, build powerful networks and run hard-hitting campaigns to change the narrative around climate and energy and win campus, community, and state-level policy victories. You can read more about our work and our programs 350 Massachusetts for a Better Future, Campus Divestment. and Communities Responding to Extreme Weather at betterfutureproject.org.
Better Future Project is an equal opportunity employer. While we still have much work to do, we are an organization working to actively challenge systems of oppression. People of color, women, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.
- Dental and vision insurance option
- 401k socially responsible investment (including fossil free) retirement option
- Generous paid time off, including separate personal, vacation, and sick time
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample to Jobs[at]betterfutureproject.org with the subject line “Development Director.” Include your last name in your attached files. Applications are accepted until the position is filled. No calls please.