Heartland Alliance seeks an experienced and mission-driven professional to join a dynamic and cross-functional team charged with increasing awareness of and diversifying revenue for Heartland Alliance—a Chicago-based, global anti-poverty and human rights organization. The Manager of Digital Strategy will help advance the department’s goals by strengthening the organization’s digital presence. This individual will enhance the user experience and engagement journey by leading and executing projects through website management, and targeted and measured digital communications. The Manager of Digital Strategy reports to the Associate Director of Marketing.
- The coordination and daily maintenance of Heartland Alliance’s external website—ensuring a well-designed, effective, and properly maintained website;
- The assembly, coordination, and production of HA’s various email marketing and communications (e-newsletters, fundraising appeals, general announcements, etc.);
- Manage marketing database platform to create a targeted user journey that supports digital engagement and fundraising efforts;
- Collaborate with the Data team to effectively leverage donor records through NXT (constituent relationship management system) and peer-to-peer platform for integrated fundraising and marketing purposes; and
- Manage measurement of performance analytics for all digital communications, as well as stay abreast of key marketing benchmarks.
- Develop strategies to drive more traffic to HA’s website, capitalize on trends in site visits, and leverage tools and tactics (e.g. social networks, photo slide shows, video/photo resources, etc.)
- Work closely with other communications team members to create, write, solicit, and edit content for website.
- Provide training and support to multiple Heartland Alliance content contributors, serve as contact for technical web and electronic communications questions, work with HA IT department, web vendors and consultants as needed to troubleshoot technical issues when problems arise.
- Continue development of web metrics; monitor and analyze web traffic and data;
design and manage strategies to continually improve on these measures.
- Basic understanding of user interface design principles; usability and accessibility issues, etc.
Email Marketing and Communications
- Work with team members to develop a strategy for electronic communications, including but not limited to the development of monthly e-newsletters, advocacy alerts and campaigns, etc.
- Work with team members to design, test, publish, and post email communications through HA’s suite of online tools.
- Coordinate and collaborate with team members to coordinate and manage a schedule of electronic communications.
- Identify and utilize audience segmentation to drive targeted marketing strategies that communicate impact and drive stakeholder engagement.
Electronic Constituent Relationship Management
- Develop and manage HA’s marketing constituent relationship management system.
- Coordinate with Data team to lead coding and segmentation of electronic mailing lists.
- Coordinate with Data team to coordinate data integration between Luminate/NXT CRM and marketing CMS.
- Keep up-to-date with industry trends and developments, including new technologies, and propose new online and electronic capacities to enhance the Heartland Alliance’s work.
- Participate in overall marketing and communications strategy planning for Heartland Alliance as a whole.
- Maintain integrity of Heartland Alliance branding in all aspects of online publishing, use of imagery, and graphics.
- Respond quickly to urgent requests, manage breaking news on the web, and emergency email appeals.
- Ability to work in diverse teams, manage staff/consultants and also drive projects on your own.
- Vendor management: Work with outside vendors (e.g. designers and consultants) as necessary to maintain current system and implement new web elements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or a related field.
- Minimum 4 years relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience and success in: developing website strategy and content; developing online fundraising, outreach campaigns, and communications; and using and administering a content management system and constituent relationship management database (NXT (Luminate), Raiser’s Edge, Engaging Networks.)
- Experience in nonprofit and graphic design desirable
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Understanding of marketing optimization, email marketing, and data-driven decision-making
- Excellent writing skills, particularly geared towards readers in the digital communications arena
- Technology Skills Demonstrated use of web-based tools; proficiency using content management systems; basic understanding of HTML and/or other web authoring languages and understanding of file types.
- Creating/editing themes and microsites in WordPress.
- Creating/editing CSS files in WordPress and CRM software.
- Testing and integrating WordPress plugins into multisite WordPress configuration.
- Knowledge of web-security best practices.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to key, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise in the work environment is moderate
- This position may require travel to various program sites
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without regard to race, receipt of an order of protection, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, amnesty, physical or mental disability, protected veterans status, genetic information, sexual orientation, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, use of FMLA, VESSA, military, and family military rights, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, height, weight, or HIV infection, in accord with the organization's AIDS Policy Statement of September 1987.