205 S. Broadway, Suite 808
The Learning Rights Law Center (“LRLC”) is a non-profit organization that provides legal services on behalf of students not receiving an equitable public education. LRLC is located in downtown Los Angeles and is seeking a Staff Attorney.
LRLC currently focuses its efforts on the most vulnerable K-12 low-income students who: 1. Have learning disabilities and/or learning difficulties; 2. Are challenged by language, disability, sexual orientation, homelessness or inadequate facilities; and 3. Are involved in the child welfare or juvenile justice systems.
LRLC addresses the crisis in the education system through advocacy, litigation, training and community organizing.
- Current member of the California Bar.
- Ability to relate to low-income clients and groups with demonstrated interest in poverty law issues and/or public interest service.
- 1-2 years of experience representing students in special education proceedings including: administrative hearings and mediations.
- Experience supervising law clerks, pro bono attorneys and volunteers.
- Willing to travel.
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaker preferred.
The Part-Time Staff Attorney of Learning Rights Law Center consists of the following responsibilities under the supervision of the Director of Litigation and Advocacy Services:
- Representation of low-income students with disabilities through the administrative proceedings including the filing of 1-2 special education due process complaints per month (minimum 14 cases per year). These cases will be primarily located in Ventura County;
- Represent families at all stages of the special education advocacy including, but not limited to IEP’s, mediation and hearing;
- Monitor implementation of settlement agreements;
- Research and stay current on legal issues to prepare for proper advocacy;
- Work with the Director of Litigation and Advocacy Services to determine what approach is needed to address systemic violations;
- Work with pro bono attorneys, law clerks and volunteers; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Includes full health and dental benefits, paid federal and state holidays, plus paid vacation and sick leave, and commuter benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish fluency preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
People with disabilities, people of color, women, and other minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are interested please apply by fax or email as soon as possible. This position needs to be filled immediately. For more information on the Learning Rights Law Center, call (213) 489-4030 to request a brochure or visit our website at www.learningrights.org.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, writing sample including a due process complaint and references to:
Janeen Steel, Director of Litigation and Advocacy Services
Learning Rights Law Center
205 S. Broadway, Suite 808
Los Angeles, California 90012
FAX: (213) 489-4033