Project Director, Recruitment, Marketing & Alumni Engagement
Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work With Us
We have an exciting full-time opportunity for a Project Director, Recruitment, Marketing & Alumni Engagement in our Washington, DC office. This individual will serve as the national outreach liaison to disseminate information and raise awareness of both the Science & Technology Policy Fellowships (STPF) program and the fellows to recruit high quality, diverse scientists and engineers across career stages and breadth of the disciplines required to meet the broad goals of the program. This is accomplished by retaining and engaging current and alumni fellows in AAAS and program initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Take lead responsibility for applicant generation, recruitment and cultivation activities
- Conceptualize, plan, and execute annual and multiyear, integrated marketing plans encompassing diverse outreach platforms, strategies and connected advertising targets
- Conceptualize and orchestrate outreach sessions at scientific meetings, universities, conferences and symposia
- Plan and supervise annual calendar of multi-platform outreach and recruitment activities; oversees budget, preparation and logistics.
- Represent the S&T Policy Fellowships at professional, governmental, university and community meetings and conferences
- Conduct recruitment workshops and deliver presentations at AAAS convenings and other scientific conferences and meetings
- Assist Senior Project Director with establishing and implementing an annual alumni relations and civic engagement plan, including researching and establishing models, developing content and programming, gathering and creating resource materials, and directing activities for network of 3,000+ alumni fellows from early to senior career stages
- Pursue partnerships that will enhance outreach and contribute to alumni engagement (e.g. other fellowship programs, executive search firms, national science, policy and advocacy organizations)
- Stay abreast of marketing, outreach and recruitment strategies, best practices in alumni networking, and building online communities of practice
- Develop targets, success benchmarks, conduct focus groups, evaluations, and assess effectiveness of recruitment, outreach, and fellowship engagement
- Monitor industry data on STEM doctorates and post-graduate employment trends, especially for populations underrepresented in STEM, and STPF
- Analyzes recruitment data and reports on results and trends
- Manage daily operation and implementation of recruitment, outreach and alumni fellow engagement activities
- Supervise one full-time direct report and interns including assigning work, monitoring progress, and providing training
- Collaborate with Senior Project Director to develop outreach, recruitment and alumni engagement budgets
- Additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree highly preferred
- Minimum of five years relevant experience and two years of supervisory experience
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of a recruitment strategy; program management, and oversight of events
- Experience in marketing, strategic communications, public relations, or a related field
- Experience working in a non-profit or academic environment with STEM faculty, post-docs, graduate students, fellowships, admissions or alumni relations, and a background in science, engineering, or science policy is a plus
- Knowledge of career paths for doctoral level scientists and engineers, general scientific issues, and science in the federal sector
- An understanding of digital marketing, promotional techniques, branding and content strategy
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, project management, organizational ability and strong attention to detail
- Strong public speaking skills, proficient and comfortable presenting to large groups
- Professional and diplomatic manner
- Ability to work with individuals from different disciplinary and cultural backgrounds
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously, set priorities for multiple projects, meet deadlines under pressure, and work both independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Power Point, required
- Prior experience/familiarity with data analysis, Salesforce and marketing automation, a plus
- Ability to travel domestically up to 40% during busy recruiting periods to staff exhibits and outreach sessions
Interested candidates should submit a resume and brief cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by July 13, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
AAAS is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
Minimum Education Required