Media Matters for America — a progressive, Washington, D.C.-based, nonprofit research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media — seeks a candidate with strong editing skills and proficiency in Spanish to serve as Assistant Editor.
This is a full-time position and will be remote through Labor Day 2021 due to the continued COVID-19 public health crisis, with a preference for candidates who are based in the Washington, D.C., area.
The Assistant Editor’s role is to work with a team of editors to ensure content for every department at Media Matters is readable and accessible to a broad audience, factual and well-sourced, grammatically correct, and timely. Hours may be nonstandard; flexibility in scheduling and willingness to work evenings and/or weekends is desired.
- Reports to: The Assistant Editor reports to the Senior Editor and Editorial Director and works closely with the other editors as well as the writers on staff.
- This is a nonmanagerial position.
- Editing and fact-checking: The Assistant Editor provides critical style and content editing for every department at Media Matters, with a focus on Spanish-language content. The work includes editing research items and reports written by teams across the organization for our website, as well as occasional press releases, promotional/donor materials, and member communications. All Media Matters editors are tasked with ensuring that content is readable and accessible to a broad audience, factual and well-sourced, grammatically correct, and timely, and ensuring that it contributes to our mission.
- Monitoring the media landscape: The Assistant Editor is responsible for staying up to date and informed on relevant media narratives and major stories of the day by tracking internal emails, reading news websites and blogs as well as all Media Matters content, and monitoring various social media outlets.
- Collaboration: The Assistant Editor communicates with members of all Media Matters departments in a collaborative way to ensure effective content and consistent writing style that meets our standards for publication. This position reports to the Senior Editor and Editorial Director yet works with various employees, teams, and departments within the organization.
- Minimum of 2 years of editing experience.
- Proficiency in Spanish.
- Demonstrated understanding of progressive issues.
- Alignment with Media Matters’ work culture, including:Interest in media and the effects conservative misinformation has on our public debate, and an understanding of Media Matters’ mission and work.
- Ability to operate effectively both independently and in a team setting.
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines on a daily basis, organize long-lead projects, and quickly adapt to new challenges in a fast-paced news cycle.
- Ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous assignments and quickly synthesize information about new topics.
- Receptivity and responsiveness to both concrete and abstract feedback.
- Dedication to accuracy and keen attention to detail.
- Background in journalism or communications.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Flexibility in scheduling and willingness to work evenings and/or weekends, as needed and assigned.
- Familiarity with the progressive political space and the right-wing media landscape, U.S. media, and the ways conservative misinformation affects public debate.
- Knowledge of web-based platforms and/or content management systems.
- Knowledge of best practices for Search Engine Optimization.
Media Matters for America offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package. This role is part of the Media Matters union represented by the Service Employees International Union Local 500. The salary for this position starts at $50,000 and is commensurate with experience.
Media Matters for America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or disability.
How to Apply:
Please visit https://www.mediamatters.org/jobs to apply through our online portal. No phone calls, please. We can respond only to candidates we are contacting for an interview.