Creative Minds International Public Charter School (CMIPCS) is a tuition-free school located in NW Washington, DC, authorized to serve students from preschool through 8th grade. Now in its sixth year of operation,CMIPCS serves over 500 students in Preschool (3-year-olds) through 8th grade.
At CMIPCS, we strike a unique balance in education by taking a global approach to learning, while always maintaining focus and attention on the development of the individual student. We encourage and respect individuality, building on our students’ strengths rather than expecting them to fit a predetermined mold. Through the lens of our international curriculum, our students gain an understanding, appreciation and respect for differences of all kinds, making them confident, culturally aware individuals capable of succeeding in a diverse and global society.
Position Overview and Responsibilities
The Communications Manager leads CMIPCS’s communication program with both internal and externally-focused responsibilities. Externally, this position is responsible for CMIPCS’s school image, stakeholder engagement, and promotion of school events and recruitment activities. Internally, the position strengthens organizational effectiveness and productivity through coordinating communications policies, procedures, and tools. The position’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and execute an annual school communication plan, identifying key messaging priorities and ensuring they are followed across platforms.
- Lead and manage the production of the school’s family newsletter via MailChimp, including staff outreach, editing, approval processes, and list management.
- Serve as school liaison with CFA leadership for all joint communication efforts (newsletter, special announcements, town hall events, etc.).
- Engage in departmental and classroom-level communication efforts, facilitating greater coordination between educational teams while identifying areas for improvement and supportive technology solutions.
- Manage school website, keeping content updated and ensuring functionality. Provide overall creative direction for site, working with external vendors as needed to grow and adapt the site to meet the school’s changing needs. Regularly monitor, assess, and report on web site performance, applying best practices for SEO and user engagement.
- Drive social media engagement across platforms, creatively telling the CMIPCS story on Facebook and other platforms as needed. Design and write media posts to support each platform’s strategy and audience engagement goals. Utilize analytic tools to monitor traffic and engagement and make recommendations to shape content and user experience.
- Write press releases and respond to press inquiries in collaboration with senior leaders.
- Prep senior leaders with talking points and assist in the creation of powerpoint decks and presentations as needed.
- Manage translation of communication materials.
- Ensure vendors and staff adhere to CMIPCS Brand Book in all formal communication and marketing outreach.
- Develop and use CMIPCS style guide for all written communication.
- Maintain CMIPCS photo library and keep current with ongoing documentation of the school community, activities, and special events.
- Work with school leadership to continuously improve school communication tools to best serve families and increase efficiencies for staff.
- Identify and support improved internal communication tools to build and strengthen staff engagement and retention.
- Participate in cross-departmental meetings, looking for new and innovative ways to use communication strategies to drive CMIPCS’s organizational goals.
- Collaborate with the HR Manager and Director of Operations and Compliance to define annual recruitment strategy, campaigns, and tactics for students and staff.
- Develop all brochures, mailers, flyers, etc. as needed for recruitment campaigns.
- Manage external designers for special projects, developing creative briefs, keeping projects on strategy, and facilitating internal reviews.
- Manage print vendors, overseeing quality control and adhering to budgets.
- Identify target audiences and purchase/rent lists for campaigns, in coordination with Director of Operations and Compliance and HR Manager.
- Manage mail houses, keeping projects on schedule and ensuring timely receipt of marketing materials.
- Co-manage special events, such as recruitment open houses, to drive family and community engagement and interest in CMIPCS.
- Research and create branded premiums/giveaways to support recruitment events.
- Develop annual budget for communication team.
- Regularly track expenses and report to Chief Operations Officer on communication budget as required.
- Manage inventory of print collateral and premiums.
- 3-5 years applied communications experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field.
- HTML, WordPress, MailChimp, G Suite, and presentation building experience strongly preferred; experience with One Call Now for email, text, and calling a plus.
- Web and social media management experience.
- Adobe Creative Cloud skills a plus.
Why join CMIPCS?
Our mission is to provide students with the foundational skills required for successful participation in a global society by offering a highly engaging, international curriculum with project- and arts-based activities that foster creativity, self-motivation, social and emotional development, and academic excellence. At CMIPCS you will join a staff uniquely committed to a vision of inclusion and equity for all types of learners. At CMIPCS you will find a team of educators who deeply believe that all students can learn and will make a contribution to their community. Our dedication to Arts-Integration allows for a creative and collaborative atmosphere, as classroom lead teachers, support staff, and enlightenment teachers all work together to plan engaging and enriching content that weaves the Arts into all subjects.
At CMIPCS, we take seriously the idea that “no significant learning occurs without a significant relationship.” Each of our educators, regardless of role or responsibility, is committed to seeking out best practices for delivering instruction and responding to the academic and social emotional needs of all children. The CMIPCS teacher is empathetic and welcoming of mistakes (both academic and behavioral) because CMIPCS educators know that mistakes lead to learning opportunities if children are held to high standards. For more information about CMI, visit our website http://www.creativemindspcs.org/ and follow us on Twitter @cmipcs.
All interested candidates should use CMIPCS's People Admin Career Portal to apply for open positions:
To Apply A successful application will include a resume and a cover letter detailing relevant experience and qualifications for this position; salary will be commensurate with experience
Note: Creative Minds International PCS is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
CMIPCS offers an exceptional and dynamic working environment with a positive and supportive culture including small class sizes (approximately 20), higher than average adult to student ratios, weekly and monthly professional development, comprehensive and generous benefits including medical, dental, 401K (with employer contributions), short and long term disability, life insurance, paid school holidays, personal and sick days, and parental and family leave, among others.
Minimum Education Required