The California Environmental Justice Alliance (CEJA) is a statewide, community-led alliance that works to achieve environmental justice by advancing policy solutions. We unite the powerful local organizing of our members in the communities most impacted by environmental hazards – low-income communities and communities of color – to improve environmental health by creating comprehensive opportunities for change at a statewide level. CEJA Action builds the political power of communities of color to advance environmentally and socially just policies in California and a more participatory, inclusive democracy.
The Communications Director position is an exciting opportunity for a strategic, bold, and visionary storyteller and collaborator to lead and oversee strategic communications to advance CEJA’s and CEJA Action’s environmental justice priorities in California. The Communications Director works closely with CEJA program and communications staff, frontline member and partner organizations, and allies to develop and implement communications strategy, including electoral, legislative, regulatory, and local campaigns across press, digital, and social media strategy. The Communications Director will report to the Executive Director and will supervise, support and partner with CEJA’s Communications Manager and Communications Interns. This is a regular, full-time, exempt position.
Reporting Relation / Location
The fiscal sponsor for CEJA is the Environmental Health Coalition (EHC), a member of CEJA. The fiscal sponsor for CEJA Action is Tides Advocacy Fund. The Communications Director will be an employee of EHC and initially report to the Executive Director of CEJA. Remote working is mandatory during the COVID-19 pandemic. Once it is safe for staff to return to the office, the Communications Director must be able to work out of one of CEJA’s offices in Huntington Park (Los Angeles area), Sacramento, or Oakland.
- In collaboration with program and communications staff, develop, oversee and implement a strategic and comprehensive communications strategy to further CEJA and CEJA Action’s mission, vision, and priorities, amplifying the voices of our member and partner organizations.
- Lead the development and guide implementation for communications campaigns and strategies for CEJA and CEJA Action’s programs and priorities, such as overarching messaging, talking points, and earned media and social media strategy, including measurable goals and outcomes.
- Supervise and contribute to annual CEJA Communications Committee strategic planning, together with CEJA Communications Manager.
- Develop and manage collaborative communications projects to develop and implement narrative frameworks across program areas with key partners.
- Guide and support staff in the amplification and promotion of program, policy and political activities; leverage key moments like agency and legislative hearings and decisions, and executive branch announcements to advance priorities and goals.
- Guide content production for strategic campaign communications priorities in disciplines including writing, videography, graphic design, event production, website, photography, public relations.
- Partner with CEJA Communications Manager to grow the capacity of our communications capacity across the alliance.
- Partner with the Civic Engagement Manager and Policy Manager to direct political communications for CEJA’s legislative agenda and electoral organizing.
- Develop and implement strategies and tools to effectively analyze data and metrics to grow the impact of communications materials and guide strategy improvement.
- In collaboration with the Communications Manager, build relationships with targeted media and journalists, identify media opportunities, shape larger news narratives around policy, programmatic and political priorities.
- Engage in strategic communications engagement with CEJA’s external allies and partners to coordinate around key media moments.
Publications and Special Events
- Ensure development of and maintain quality and consistency of CEJA’s brand identity, credibility, and voice throughout all external communications.
- Oversee production and publication of CEJA reports and events across platforms, including web, social media, paid social media.
- Work with CEJA Special Projects Manager and third parties, including consultants, vendors and contractors to oversee graphics, writing, editing, and promotion, as needed.
Development & Financial Management
- Partner with Executive Director, Finance Director, and Development Director to strategically plan, grow and manage communications budget.
- Work with Development and Communications Manager to develop and execute annual strategy for development-related digital communications.
- Work with CEJA Communications Manager on a resource generation plan for member and partner organizations to better resource our collective communications efforts.
Leadership, Staff, and Organizational Development
- Support, mentor and supervise Communications Manager to further develop and strengthen skill-sets and overall professional growth.
- In collaboration with Communications Manager and Executive Director, build the vision and design of the communications team, including guiding the hiring of new communications staff, occasional consultants, interns and fellows.
- Support a diverse, supportive and inclusive workplace culture to attract, retain, and motivate a values-aligned and high-performing team.
- Participate in organizational planning and coordinate communications efforts to support organizational objectives.
- Oversee the training and development of member organizations’ communications staff, grassroots leaders, and allies to represent CEJA’s policy positions, values, and movement vision.
- Maintain personal administrative organizational systems.
Qualifications and skills REQUIRED
- 5 + years of experience in strategic communications and campaign planning.
- Excellent storytelling, writing, copy editing skills.
- Experience serving as an advisor or mentor, and supporting skills-building of team members, including direct training or identifying and securing training.
- Demonstrated capacity for high-level strategic planning, driving strategies and campaign development to shape narrative and issues through proactive messaging and outreach.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain information confidential and exercise good judgment.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment; independent, proactive and able to work under tight deadlines and evolving priorities.
- Demonstrated success in crisis communications, including the ability to grasp and appropriately respond to both internally and externally precipitated crises.
- Commitment to advancing social and economic justice.
- Experience organizing alongside and working with communities of color and low-income. Excellent cross-cultural skills, including the ability to communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds.
- Ability to work well both independently and in collaboration with diverse staff, organizational leaders, and community allies.
- Highly collaborative style and sincere commitment to work collaboratively with CEJA staff, committees, organizational community members, and supporters.
Qualifications and Skills PREFERRED:
- Knowledge of California media markets, including Spanish, Chinese, and other non-English speaking outlets, reporters, and media markets.
- Knowledge of California regional and statewide environmental justice issues.
- Knowledge of California state agencies and legislative process.
- Understand or have had experience in navigating across c3, c4, and PAC communication and administrative systems.
- Web and print design skills preferred.
- Experience working in coalitions, either with housing, labor, abolitionist, gender justice, reproductive justice, or other social justice movements.
- Experience hiring and managing consultants.