343 Second Street
We are seeking a Compliance Coordinator to contribute to an effective team that works across programs to support grantmaking.
We are a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided the David and Lucile Packard Foundation (Foundation)
for more than 50 years. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation. We make grants at the local, state, national, and international level.
We work on the issues our founders cared about most, which are improving the lives of children; enabling
the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems; and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations.
A staff of 125 conducts the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees our work. For 2018, we expect to make grantmaking awards of over $300M. David and Lucile Packard passed onto the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity, respect for all people, belief in individual leadership, commitment to effectiveness, and the capacity to think big.
The Compliance Coordinator sits in the Office of the General Counsel and works as a team with two other Compliance Coordinators. The coordinators work closely with the attorneys in the department and also with program staff and staff in other Foundation departments including Finance and IT.
The Compliance Coordinator provides grantmaking programs with compliance support and consultation. The coordinator reviews grants for compliance with legal and Foundation requirements.
This position provides consultation, training, and compliance support to program staff including:
· Learning legal and Foundation compliance policies and procedures to effectively review and process grants
· Serving as a primary resource to programs with respect to grant compliance policies and procedures
· Learning and maintaining knowledge of programmatic strategy in order to assess and consult on potential specific grant compliance-related issues
· Consulting with programs regarding grant compliance connected to a specific program strategy and specific grant recommendations
· Identifying potential compliance issues related to a grant and work directly with the program to address or resolve the issues or, in some situations, recommend a solution to the General Counsel
· Conducting final compliance review of grants prior to approval
· Reviewing post-award grant materials to ensure compliance with Foundation and IRS rules and regulations and in preparation for the Expenditure Responsibility schedules of the Foundation’s 990PF tax return
· Managing compliance processes and documentation including organizing and providing access to updated written procedures on the intranet
· Data input and management, along with some testing and systems refinements, for the Foundation’s grants management system
· Assisting in identifying needs for program staff training and learning and assist in preparing and delivering training
· Assisting with coordination of and preparation of materials for meetings
· Working effectively as a team member and serving as a back up
· Working on and taking the lead on projects
· Other duties and projects as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Interest in grantmaking compliance and in one or more of the Foundation’s program areas, desired
· Ability to understand complex program strategy documents and materials to make informed recommendations
· Excellent judgment to apply knowledge and provide solution-oriented options while constructively influencing decisions
· Excellent written and oral communication skills; presentation and training skills a plus
· Familiarity with or strong interest in learning current technology applicable to grantmaking and compliance
· Accurate and detail oriented
· Enjoys learning and applying knowledge, and is comfortable with ambiguity
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Ability to anticipate information and work while meeting deadlines
· Interacts with all in a professional, courteous, culturally sensitive, and tactful manner
· Enjoys working with others on teams
· Process improvement skills and documentation skills a plus
· Protects sensitive and confidential information
· Comfortable with technology - has excellent Outlook, SharePoint, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also have the ability to sit at a desk for 2-3 hours at a time, lift and move documents and supplies not to exceed
20 lbs., and bend to file and retrieve documents.
Education and Experience
An undergraduate degree or equivalent education and work experience; and a minimum of five years of related work experience in areas related to grants and compliance. Work experience at a grantmaking organization preferred.
Benefits and Compensation
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and a salary that is commensurate with education and related work experience. It is full-time, nonexempt, and located in downtown Los Altos,CA.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send an email referring to job number 18-11-1070R in the subject line along with a resume and one-page cover letter explaining how your interest and work experience fit the position to email@example.com.
No phone inquiries, please.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
Principal applicants only.
More information about the Foundation can be found at www.packard.org.