113 Hester Street
Hester Street is seeking a communications and/or development professional with at least four years of experience. We are looking for someone to join a growing, dynamic team that holds social justice as a core value.
About Hester Street
Hester Street is an urban planning, design and development nonprofit working to ensure that neighborhoods are shaped by the people who live in them. We offer technical and capacity building assistance to community-based organizations, private firms and government agencies on land use processes, neighborhood planning and design, and public and private community development projects. We strive for more vibrant, equitable, sustainable and resilient neighborhoods.
We work on a wide variety of projects— including neighborhood planning, community resiliency, economic development, public health and community facility development. Local knowledge, needs and priorities guide our work and extensive community engagement is a critical component of nearly every project.
About the Position
We are looking for a communications and/or development professional who can follow the details of a neighborhood planning project, synthesize relevant take-aways and formulate stories tailored to specific audiences and goals. This role requires the ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines. Experience communicating about neighborhood, environmental and/or social justice issues is preferred. Because Hester Street operates much like a consulting firm and seeks out projects with agencies, firms and community-based organizations, marketing skills are also a plus. This new staff position will report to the Director of Strategy and work closely with the Deputy Director of Development and Design Manager. This is an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated professional who welcomes work in a collaborative environment to join a growing, high-energy team.
Job responsibilities include the following:
- Manage all aspects of Hester Street’s communication strategy, including some communication tailored to funders and donors;
- Creatively employ a range of communication tools – including email newsletters, social media, website, video and others – in support of Hester Street’s goals;
- Write components of grant and consulting proposals, working closely with Deputy Director of Development;
- Support project goals, in collaboration with project staff and community stakeholders, by identifying stories and communication tools;
- Ensure that project deliverables for external audiences are high-quality, relevant and consistent;
- Aggregate lessons learned across projects and compile data on impact for external use;
- Manage and generate content, including for website, newsletters, social media and presentations;
- Track and analyze results of communication efforts to improve impact;
- Monitor media coverage of Hester Street and our projects, to inform internal decisions; and
- Support staff and board members in building strategic communication skills.
We are seeking an excellent writer who is organized, detail-oriented and has project management skills. Experience working with low-income communities, immigrant and other communities of color and/or community-based organizations is preferred, though not required.
Top candidates will have:
Experience communicating strategically and tailoring communication to different audiences, especially in writing:
- Four to six years of experience writing in multiple formats, such as proposals, website, social media, press and presentations.
- Experience creating communications, outreach or marketing plans for a range of audiences, such as current and prospective donors and foundations, government, community-based organizations, private firms and/or community development and planning practitioners;
An ability to gather and synthesize lessons learned from a team of urban planning and design experts and from community members:
- An ability to draw relevant information from non-profit leaders, government officials and community members;
- Experience formulating a compelling storyline from raw information and interviews.
An ability to manage projects, coordinate a large team of contributors and meet deadlines.
Graphic design skills and experience with Adobe InDesign are a plus, though not requirements.
Hester Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce that reflects the populations we partner with. We seek to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability or veteran status.
Hester Street is a nonprofit organization incorporated as Hester Street Collaborative, Inc.
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, Hester Street offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, résumé, one writing sample and one sample communications, marketing or outreach plan to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Communications Manager” in the subject line.
We encourage candidates to submit materials by March 21, 2018.