Details: Compensation to be determined upon hire.
Family Programs & Housing Department
Father Bill’s & MainSpring is committed to ending and preventing homelessness in Southern Massachusetts with programs that provide emergency and permanent housing and help people obtain skills, jobs, housing, and services. We help people who are struggling with homelessness or are at risk of homelessness to achieve self-sufficiency.
Father Bill’s & MainSpring is a growing and dynamic social service agency with particular expertise in emergency and permanent housing, job training and placement, and prevention services for individuals and families in need. Over the next five years, our strategic focus includes an increase in affordable, permanent supportive housing, a more efficient model of care for families experiencing homelessness, commitment to an enhanced delivery model to reduce the need for shelter, and improved community relations in order to achieve these goals. Our staff are thoughtful and caring individuals who share our passion for these ideals and creative approaches to helping people improve their lives.
We offer a generous benefits package and a comprehensive orientation and training program, as well as ample opportunities for advancement for qualified individuals who show a commitment to our Mission.
The Housing Specialist is a full time, community based position responsible for locating and securing housing opportunities for FBMS participants. Applicants need to work diligently to build and maintain strong, working relationships with local landlords and community partners as well as with the internal FBMS team. The Housing Specialists benefit from an energetic, creative and outgoing mindset. This position requires 2-4 years of experience with housing and/or social work or a Bachelor’s Degree in social work or related field.
- Meet with referred households to assess housing needs, strengths, barriers, and accurately budget based on income.
- Network and maintain positive working relationships with local landlords, property managers, housing authorities, social service organizations and state agencies and internal collaterals.
- Transport and accompany referred participants to apartment viewings and other appointments as appropriate.
- Complete and maintain all necessary documentation for participant’s records including any required data entry and reporting.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local housing laws and regulations including tenant and landlord rights.
- Solid understanding of available housing programs including Rapid Re-Housing assistance and/or other subsidized housing programs.
- Strong communication, analytical, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to be a strong self-starter with a creative mindset towards locating and securing housing opportunities for participants often within a short window of identified time.
- Maintain an updated list of landlord contacts in centralized database and share resources and housing leads with other housing specialists.
- Advocate on behalf of program participants in order to help them move forward out of homelessness.
- Complete thorough assessments in order to identify strengths, needs, barriers, and goals.
- Participate in the creation and/or implementation of program service plans.
- Coordinate and collaborate with department and community providers in support of program participants.
- Create and accept internal and external referrals for resources and services and maintain communication with providers.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Provide support to deescalate and facilitate crisis intervention.
- Demonstrate a high degree of confidentiality pertaining to case records and information.
Skills & Competencies:
- Empathy: An understanding and empathy for those dealing with homelessness and related issues.
- Professionalism: Maintains the highest level of professionalism in the delivery of services, building of relationships, collaboration with co-workers, and representation of Father Bill’s & MainSpring within the organization and the community.
- Communication: Speaks appropriately in positive and/or negative conversations with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, donors and constituents; Articulates the goals of Father Bill’s & MainSpring.
- Record-Keeping: Routine clerical or record-keeping incidental to the essential responsibilities of the job (including, but not limited to, data entry and case file updates).
- Job Knowledge: Possesses the practical and technical knowledge required on the job.
- Attendance: Acceptable overall attendance record, consistently at work and on time.
- Reliability: Relied upon regarding task completion and follow-up. Follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Initiative: Seeks out new assignments and is willing to be flexible with additional duties.
- Adherence to Policy: Follows safety and workplace expectations, regulations and processes as defined in the Employee Handbook.
- Work Ethic: Demonstrates a commitment to the Mission and adheres to the Operating Principles of Father Bill’s & MainSpring and works as part of a team toward a common goal.
- Safety & Security: Actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Travel: Local travel may be required. Valid driver’s license and good driving record required.
- Physical Demands: The demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to verbally convey detailed information or important instructions or ideas accurately or quickly. Must be able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information. Average visual acuity is necessary.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee. Other duties as assigned may be part of the job.
Father Bill’s & MainSpring is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter & resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate in subject line of email position you are applying for and Brockton or Quincy location.