Established in 1789, the Archdiocese of Baltimore is the first and oldest Roman Catholic diocese in the United States. The Archdiocese is comprised of the City of Baltimore and nine Maryland counties, with almost a half million Catholic faithful. Today, the Archdiocese operates 144 parishes, 38 elementary/middle schools, and 6 high schools in its mission to be a welcoming, worshiping community of faith, hope, and love. The Archdiocese relies on the Holy Spirit to bring the Lord Jesus into the lives of those who believe, and reaches into our world with his saving message and healing love.
The Archdiocese of Baltimore (AOB) seeks a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Executive Director, Management Services, to lead the provision of management services in: budget, financial management and investment; financial oversight of its parishes and schools; and, facilities management, information technology, and risk management operations.
The CFO reports to the AOB Vicar General and serves as the primary advisor to the Archbishop of Baltimore on all financial and management services matters. The CFO supervises the Division Directors and senior leadership of the Department of Management Services and sets forth a vision and plan to grow and strengthen Archdiocesan finances, technology, facilities, and risk mitigation. Specifically, the CFO will:
- Assess and anticipate the financial needs of the Archdiocese and develop plans and policies to address those needs;
- Review parish and school financial and demographic reports; recommend action plans as necessary to the Archbishop and to the Chancellor of Schools.
- Collaborate with Department Executive Directors and the Vicar Bishops in matters of policy and the administration of parishes and schools.
- Evaluate the feasibility of proposed building projects, renovations and land purchases.
- Ensure the insurance needs of the Archdiocese are appropriately met and ensures necessary coverage in the areas of property and casualty.
- Ensure the provision of effective Information Technology for Central Services, and appropriate information systems use in for parishes and schools.
- Assure necessary audits, proper management controls, and approval processes.
- Assure sound and proper management of Archdiocesan investments.
- Assure compliance of fiscal and managerial activity with all regulatory authorities.
- Provide a staff function to the Board of Financial Administration.
- Serves on several Archdiocesan boards and committees
The successful candidate will possess:
- At least 10 years of executive (C-suite) experience in organizational leadership and managerial roles.
- An MBA or equivalent degree in finance or business
- Be a practicing Catholic who embraces the values and teachings of the Church as essential to fulfilling the mission of evangelization.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to lead and transform organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate economic and religious factors into effective business and financial practices.
- Demonstrated experience in leading the development of organizational budgets and the implementation of sound and effective financial and investment plans.
- A strong background in establishing relationships and partnerships with local community business leaders.
Compensation for the CFO is highly competitive and includes an executive benefits package.
Interested and qualified candidates must submit email a cover letter and resume to
Joseph T. Smith, Executive Director, Human Resources at Joe.Smith@archbalt.org.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Minimum Education Required