200 American Legion Highway
Background on Brooke
Founded in 2002, Brooke Charter Schools is a network of college preparatory public schools with five campuses in Boston. Brooke currently serves 1,899 students in grades K-10 and will grow to serve 2,200 students in grades K-12 by 2023.
Named after the late Senator Edward W. Brooke, the first African-American popularly elected to the U.S. Senate, our strategy is to focus relentlessly on developing excellent teaching. Reflecting the diversity of the communities we serve in Boston and Chelsea, 56% of Brooke students self-identify as Black, 34% as Latino, 6% Caucasian, 2% Asian, and 2% Native American or multiracial. About three-quarters of Brooke students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch. Over the last several years, Brooke students have set a new bar for what is possible in urban public education, consistently outperforming their peers in Boston Public Schools, and producing academic achievement results among the highest in the state.
The Development Associate Role
Brooke Charter Schools is seeking a Development Associate who will be instrumental in the fundraising activities to close out the organization’s $12 million high school capital campaign, as well as increase year over year annual fundraising from individuals and institutional donors. Reporting directly to the Chief Development Officer, the Development Associate will execute grant writing and reporting, research, collateral creation, as well as database and project management efforts essential to achieving fundraising goals. The Development Associate is responsible for managing deadlines, writing high quality materials, planning events, maintaining database records, and interfacing with the donor community in ways that are strategic, warm, and compelling.
Institutional Grants Management
- Manage the grants submissions calendar and project plans to meet deadlines and submit applications on time or ahead of schedule
- Lead the development of high quality, strategic grant proposals and reports to foundations and corporations, tailoring communications to persuasively align requests to stakeholder interests
- Develop detailed prospect research on potential institutional funding sources to determine potential mission alignment
- Prepare materials for in-person meetings and site visits, including meeting briefs, agendas, and other collateral
Individual Donor Engagement
- Write and manage annual appeal to individual donors, engaging the Board of Directors and other key supporters to maximize the campaign’s success
- Research individual donor prospects’ background, giving capacity and interests
- Lead event planning to engage individual donors, including house parties, small gatherings, and ongoing volunteer engagement events
Board of Directors Stewardship
- Oversee all logistics coordination as it relates to the board, including calendaring meetings, materials preparation, adherence to open meeting laws, etc.
- Support efforts to build the board pipeline, including researching board prospects and coordinating their cultivation
Data Management and Other Responsibilities
- Execute gift processing and acknowledgement tasks in a timely and thoughtful manner
- Leverage the Salesforce database to track donor-specific information as well as progress to fundraising goals
- Partner with the marketing staff to develop additional collateral as needed
- Support volunteer engagement efforts as needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- Shared dedication to Brooke’s philosophy and mission
- 2+ years of full-time work experience
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as within small and diverse teams
- Good problem solving abilities and strong internal locus of control
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with colleagues and donors
- Outgoing, warm, calm, sincere and professional demeanor in all situations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and Google Drive Suite
- Experience in non-profit fundraising and/or the Salesforce database is a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply directly through our website.