Details: Salary is commensurate with demonstrated experience and abilities.
CEO is seeking a Payroll Coordinator to contribute to operation of the payroll function and ensure that all employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner. As the Payroll Coordinator, you’ll act as CEO employees’ point-of-contact within the payroll department by answering any questions related to payroll and resolving problems with the payroll process and system. You’ll also complete accurate and compliant payroll processing for a national organization through proper balancing and reconciling. By processing payroll for both CEO staff and participants, you’ll contribute to the success of our overall program while making a direct impact on participants’ lives in providing them daily wages that offer greater immediate stability.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 5,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. Since 2009, CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations including the Federal Social Innovation Fund, the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Robin Hood Foundation, and Rockefeller Foundation. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
Who You Are
- You come to CEO with 1-2 years of relevant experience and are eager to apply your experience and skill set to drive results within a mission-driven, social justice-minded nonprofit organization
- You’re a quick learner and possess strong mathematical, analytical, and technical skills along with the ability to apply these skills in Excel (V-lookup and Pivot Table experience is a plus!)
- You take a customer-oriented approach to your work to ensure a satisfactory outcome
- You’re a strong project manager and independent worker with the ability to maintain oversight of all of the details as you coordinate many moving pieces and projects under tight timelines
- You’re an excellent communicator, both written and verbally, with the ability to work through payroll inquiries and processing with staff
- You have an Associate’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or a related field
Additional responsibilities of the Payroll Coordinator will include but are not limited to:
- Supporting payroll administration of the organization by performing tasks such as timely and accurate payroll processing (including direct deposit management and pay, tax, and garnishment changes); data entry, management, and reconciliation; time & attendance reporting; and employee data management (using ADP and Salesforce)
- Serving as the main contact for employees regarding payroll while maintaining their confidence by keeping information confidential
- Responding to internal requests for payroll reports from various internal departments and responding to external requests and directives from tax agencies and other governmental offices
- Receiving staff’s payroll processing errors and effectively troubleshooting problems with the payroll process and system
- Contributing to the overall efficiency of the payroll department through policy and process implementation, development, and revision
- Staying informed of regulations, interpretations and practices pertaining to payroll, applying these to practice as needed
- Performing other duties and special projects as requested
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
CEO also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your application materials, including a resume and cover letter, using the link provided. Please note: our application portal is optimized for use with Google Chrome.