Details: commensurate with experience
236 West 73rd Street
Join a team of caring, creative early childhood educators in a Reggio-Emilia inspired classroom for 3 and 4 year-olds where children learn through play. Work closely with a head teacher to develop developmentally appropriate activities designed to help children learn key social skills, express themselves creatively, and develop their imaginations and interests through an emergent curriculum. This is an ideal position for someone with deep knowledge of child development and how preschoolers really learn best, who is fully committed to learning through play, and thrives in a friendly, collaborative environment. Responsibilities include:
- Assists lead instructor in and contributes ideas for the development of creative, hands-on learning activities, acquisition of classroom supplies, preparing materials, and setting up, organizing, and maintaining the classroom.
- Is able to assume lead role in at least one weekly activity as well as developing plans and creating/procuring materials and supplies needed for the activity.
- Leads the class if the lead instructor is absent.
- Assists with bathroom breaks, snack time, and other activities.
- Facilitates and interacts with children during free play.
- Attends monthly staff meeting.
- Reports to lead instructor and Assistant Director any concerns about a child’s behavior or cognitive issues or any parent’s concerns about the program.
- Participates in twice yearly parent meetings to discuss children’s progress, and does preparatory work as needed prior to the meetings.
- Participates in staff development and training programs as required.
- Participates in events such as open houses and other special events to showcase and promote program to prospective parents.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- At minimum, undergraduate coursework toward a degree in early childhood education or child development required; a completed bachelor’s degree or master’s degree is strongly preferred. Interest in and knowledge of how to implement an emergent curriculum a plus.
- Knowledge of preschool special education a plus.
- Experience working with children ages 2-5 required; experience and demonstrated skill in working in a mixed-age classroom a plus.
- Strong understanding of classroom management and positive discipline.
- Excels at teamwork, building rapport with young children, and modeling good behavior.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and excellent at communicating with clarity and sensitivity to parents.
Level of Language Proficiency
English proficiency and fluency required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Assistant Director of Community Programs Jennifer Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org.