1360 Fulton Street, Ground Floor
On New York Avenue between Fulton and Herkimer
The Brooklyn Community Pride Center is seeking a full-time development and engagement manager to join our energetic team and manage fundraising and communication activities. The development and engagement manager reports to the executive director and collaborates with board members and community stakeholders as appropriate.
The Brooklyn Center is the only LGBTQ+ community center in Brooklyn and is fast becoming the borough’s premier network of programs and services for the LGBTQ+ community and our allies. Across the spectrum from young people to elders, the Brooklyn Center enables our community to actively participate in positive, life-affirming activities. We offer a distinctive choice for residents of New York City’s largest borough to celebrate, heal, learn, create, organize, relax, socialize, and play.
The organization is rapidly growing and has gone from a $300K operating budget in FY16 to a $1.4m budget for FY19. We will expand from 3,100 square feet of space at Restoration Plaza (Bedford-Stuyvesant) to an additional 6,100 square feet at the Bedford-Union Armory (Crown Heights) in 2021 with continued expansion through 2025. Remote and mobile work is possible until our expansion into the Armory.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. This is an exciting organization to join the team of one of New York City’s fastest growing LGBTQ+ organizations!
Scope of Duties
Development and fundraising 65%
- Collaborates on comprehensive fundraising goals with an emphasis on individual giving for this fiscal year.
- Manages all fundraising campaigns including individual giving, corporate, foundation and government funding. Government funding is in collaboration with our external financial management team.
- Reconciles development records in collaboration with our external financial management team.
- Coordinates, supports, and manages logistics for all events including no ask cultivation events and the annual community leadership awards and gala, which includes but is not limited to:
- Managing all logistics in collaboration with gala awards co-chairs, committees, and (possibly) event planners
- Managing relationships with sponsors and donors
- Managing all content for the journal and collaborating with our in-house graphic designer
- Supporting the process by scheduling meetings and taking notes
- Generating reports in collaboration with our finance team as requested
- Supports donor relationships by scheduling meetings, taking notes, managing Donor Tools (the organization’s donor management software).
- Drafts grant proposals and reports and maintains the development calendar.
- Supports the executive director, board chair, and governance committee in board development activities.
- Prepares fundraising budgets.
- Manages events budgets.
- Manages relationships via Donor Tools.
- Collaborates and drafts marketing campaigns using Mail Chimp.
- Supervises a development intern when appropriate.
Community Engagement 20%
- Collaborates with the director of programs to generate contingents for our presence in the Brooklyn Pride Festival and Parade, Heritage Pride, and other pride activities.
- Facilitates and manages revenue-generating / donor engagement events and activities.
- Drafts the organization’s annual report, e-blast newsletters, and other publications as needed.
- Coordinates changes to the Web site, including sending regular updates to designer and collaboratively planning periodic structural improvements to the site.
- Drafts media advisories and follows-up with media via phone and email; collaborates with and provides support for PR committee.
- Coordinates press conferences often in collaboration with elected officials.
- Posts to Facebook and Twitter on a daily basis and collaborates with volunteer support in this area when available.
- Ours is a highly collaborative environment and might necessitate reception coverage when volunteers are unavailable.
Three to five years in nonprofit development and communications at the assistant, coordinator, or manager level.
- Knowledge of and commitment to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues, as well as the intersection of LGBTQ+ issues within communities of color, people with disabilities, and other disenfranchised groups.
- Self-motivated; detail oriented.
- Active listener.
- Exceptional emotional intelligence.
- Personable people person.
- Ability to independently manage with a limited budget.
- Excellent communications and technical skills (written, oral and computer).
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional time management.
- Ability to diplomatically manage competing priorities and constituencies.
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office, Mail Chimp, and Donor Tools.
- Nimble, flexible, collaborative: able to work in a mobile office environment.
Please see position description on website: http://lgbtbrooklyn.org/jobs/.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
E-mail cover letter, résumé, and one writing sample to Athena Hernandez at email@example.com. Subject: [Your name]: Brooklyn Community Pride Center Development and Engagement Manager. Writing sample should be a grant proposal or report in which you were the lead or contributing author. Please specify in your cover letter your role in writing the piece.