Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
Medair has been operating in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh since the influx of Rohingya refugees from Myanmar in late 2017. Current programmes are in the sectors of Nutrition (operating 4 integrated Nutrition clinics), Shelter (construction of 4,000 transitional shelters and emergency response), and Health (operating 2 health posts, COVID-19 response). The overall programme has around 160 staff and 240 volunteers, and the support base remains highly engaged with the programme’s teams.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. Take a look at Medair’s work in Bangladesh.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Monitor and review the security status on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies. Make reports, as appropriate, to the Country Director.
- Ensure all staff members receive appropriate briefings and on-going training in security-related topics.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security plans and protocols for CXB are updated and implemented in response to changes in the security situation. Train and support relevant Project Manager(s) in security planning, management, implementation and monitoring.
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated project(s) in consultation with the Project Manager(s) and with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated project(s), including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal. Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted and reports made to managers or to donors.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects.
- Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
- Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors, line managers and any other bodies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Seek out and actively participate in relevant local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely manner.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects, in collaboration with the relevant Project Manager(s) and Sector Advisers and in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Working with the relevant Project Manager(s), ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making any budget adjustment recommendations to the Country Director. Working with the Programme Support Manager regarding base budgets and expenditure.
- Monitor the spending of the designated project(s) to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc. Provide oversight and line manage the Project Manager(s) and Sr. M&E Officer.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of local staff.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Ensure designated project(s) are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc. Follow the direction of the advisors at GSO regarding quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management/ Development Studies / Business Administration.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
- 3 years overseas work experience with a relief and rehabilitation NGO or other agency engaged in humanitarian aid. Experience of security management in previous roles.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols. Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Good report and proposal writing skills. Good negotiation skills. Problem solving ability.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of humanitarian / emergency programmes. Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.