Pro Bono Coordinator, Pro Bono and Volunteer Unit
- Job posted by New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG)
Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
7 Hanover Square
Founded in 1990, the New York Legal Assistance Group provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers. The agency serves immigrants, seniors, the homebound, families facing foreclosure, renters facing eviction, low-income consumers, those in need of government assistance, children in need of special education, domestic violence victims, persons with disabilities, patients with chronic illness or disease, low-wage workers, low-income members of the LGBTQ community, Holocaust survivors, and others in need. The agency's annual cash budget is approximately $25 million. Serving more than 75,000 New Yorkers annually, New York Legal Assistance Group maintains a paid staff of approximately 280, supported by 2,200 pro bono attorneys and other volunteers and interns. For more information, applicants are encouraged to visit www.nylag.org.
The New York Legal Assistance Group uses the power of the law to help New Yorkers in need combat social and economic injustice. We address emerging and urgent legal needs with comprehensive, free civil legal services, impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community education.
Values that guide us
We reduce the effects of poverty by providing high quality, effective civil legal services.
We partner with our clients to help them transform their lives and strengthen their communities.
We address our clients’ multiple legal needs by collaborating across our practice areas.
We are at the forefront of identifying and understanding New Yorkers’ most pressing legal needs, rapidly adapting to meet these needs with innovative programs and partnerships.
We assess need broadly, recognizing that need is not a function of income alone.
We collaborate with community organizations and engage pro bono attorneys and volunteers to serve a greater number of people with unmet civil legal needs.
We achieve systemic change through class actions, impact litigation and by advocating for just laws and policies.
We work to create a welcoming and inclusive work environment that reflects the communities we serve.
We teach and train the next generation of legal service professionals.
This Pro Bono Coordinator position primarily focuses on law firm programming and contributes to the Pro Bono and Volunteer Unit policies, procedures and program implementation. He/she/they will hold a college degree and preferably have project management experience in a law firm setting. A Juris Doctor is not required. The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in the administration of strong operational and management systems that support a legal services provider. The ideal candidate will be a relationship builder and effective communicator with demonstrated project management success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identifies and implements systems and procedures that promote effective and efficient volunteer management, including the creation of volunteer profiles;
- Coordinates the recruitment, training, mentoring and recognition of volunteers, including attorneys, law students, law graduates, paralegals and others;
- Develops, sustains, and expands relationships with law firms and corporations, bar associations, and the judiciary;
- Create and implement new pro bono projects, clinics and training events;
- Collects and analyzes volunteer and program data; develops and applies quality control/evaluation tools; uses technology to improve functioning;
- Gathers information about grants and deliverables throughout the substantive units;
- Solicits cases and projects from substantive units for appropriate assignment to pro bono volunteers;
- Assists in the planning and execution of volunteer recognition events;
- Orients new volunteers;
- Tracks pro bono case assignments/obtains periodic case status updates from volunteers;
- Develops reports of volunteer outcomes for funders and internal stakeholders;
- Cultivates relationships for fundraising purposes in conjunction with the philanthropy and development teams;
- Develops and updates content for pro bono promotional materials and the unit’s internal online portal;
- Administrative duties, including CLE management and reporting; and
- Fills in for other team members and handles other projects, as necessary.
- College degree, with law firm experience preferred but not required
- A sincere commitment to social and economic justice
- Significant, proven organizational and/or administrative management experience
- Ability to translate vision, strategy and outcomes into external messaging and branding
- An ability to adapt quickly and a natural orientation towards collaboration and the promotion of the mission and teamwork.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and coordinate programs and projects for volunteers
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and volunteer management systems (e.g., Salesforce, Legal Server)
- Keen ability to identify problems and craft effective solutions
- At least five years of experience in a project management or similar role
- Fluent Spanish preferred but not required
NYLAG’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
NYLAG is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, veterans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, and those with lived experiences in the communities we serve are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please click on the link to apply: