Health Care For All (HCFA) is a state-based consumer health advocacy organization that is celebrating its 35th anniversary in 2020. HCFA’s mission is to advocate for health justive in Massachusetts by working to promote health equity and ensure coverage and access for all, and we are recognized as a national leader in its work.
HCFA focuses on expanding health care access, improving quality, and bringing down costs in Massachusetts through its leadership of and participation in numerous policy advocacy coalitions. These coalitions bring together a wide variety of organizations to work collaboratively to make health care changes. By uniting diverse constituencies, HCFA is able to magnify its policy reach on many fronts. HCFA also helps thousands of individuals and families each year to enroll in and renew their health insurance and troubleshoot health coverage issues through our consumer assistance HelpLine. We use the health care access barriers that HelpLine callers report to inform our state-level health advocacy agenda.
The organization’s achievements include leading four waves of broad Massachusetts health reform, including legislation in 2006 that was the precursor for the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Legislation in 2012 resulted in the nation’s first comprehensive law aimed at controlling health care cost growth through adoption of alternative payment methodologies; care coordination; and investments in technology, wellness and prevention. Today, access to health care for the people of Massachusetts is under attack as the Federal Administration attempts to decimate the ACA, Medicaid and other health benefits. HCFA is, once again, leading the campaigns and coalitions necessary to defend the progress we have made in health care access, quality and affordability, while simultaneously working to make improvements on the state level.
For more information, please visit www.hcfama.org.
HCFA’s office is centrally located in downtown Boston. This position will include occasional travel outside of the office within metro-Boston and surrounding communities depending on the relevant work.
This position reports to the Co-Director of Policy and Government Affairs.
The Children’s Health Policy Manager’s work includes coalition leadership, project management, policy analysis, research, advocacy, outreach, and event planning activities to manage HCFA’s children’s health care policy portfolio . This role focuses on the ongoing management and growth of the Children’s Health Access Coalition, which includes representation from consumer advocates, community organizations, providers, and other stakeholder constituencies. The individual will also coordinate and provide advocacy technical assistance to other organizations and provide support for HCFA’s public health insurance efforts.
· Provide strategic and operational direction for HCFA’s children’s health advocacy work, with a focus on management of the Children’s Health Access Coalition
· Expand, activate and convene membership of Children’s Health Access Coalition, including coordination and facilitation of coalition meetings
· Maintain updated coalition lists and regularly communicate with coalition members
· Collaborate with organizational management to oversee HCFA’s children’s health funding portfolio, including funder relations, grant writing and grant reporting
· Coordinate and provide technical assistance support to other pediatric advocacy organizations, including one-on-one coaching and trainings
· Support advocacy and policy work on public health insurance programs, including issues related to the state’s Medicaid program and other subsidized health insurance and safety net programs
· Monitor and track legislation and budget priorities, coordinate State House drops, draft written testimony, and prepare for public hearings
· Play a key role in planning events, including State House advocacy days, press conferences and other public events
· Produce reports, fact sheets, policy analyses, action alerts, blog posts, talking points, and other written materials as needed in coordination with the policy team
· Coordinate with HCFA’s HelpLine, organizing and outreach staff on efforts to collect and record consumer stories that can be helpful to campaigns and the media
· Conduct and document research to support HCFA and coalition advocacy
· Coordinate closely with the Behavioral Health Campaign and Policy Director on children’s behavioral health issues
· Represent HCFA at external meetings, as needed
· Facilitate coordination and collaboration with other HCFA coalitions and departments
· Other duties as assigned
· A strong commitment to health justice
· At least 3-5 years of related experience, with experience in a nonprofit setting a plus
· Experience working in health care policy, advocacy, politics or a related field
· Knowledge and command of either Massachusetts state health insurance programs and/or pediatric health care issues, preferred
· Experience working collaboratively with a broad coalition of stakeholders and driving consensus toward a common mission and vision
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Highly organized and strategic with the ability to manage multiple priorities with poise and professionalism in demanding environments
· Excellent attention to details and accuracy
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team, as well as be self-motivated
· Proven time management and multi-tasking capabilities
· Sound political judgment and experience making strategic decisions
· Ability to grasp and analyze substantive and often complex health policy information
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint)
· Commitment to health care access and social justice
· Ability to write and converse proficiently in Spanish/Portuguese/Haitian Creole in addition to English is a plus, but not required;
· A sense of humor
· Generous paid time off policy
· Robust benefits package
· Convenient downtown Boston location
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Children’s Health Policy Manager” in the subject line.
Health Care For All is an equal opportunity employer with a demonstrated commitment to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. Persons of color, persons with multilingual abilities, women, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Health Care For All (HCFA) is a state-based consumer health advocacy organization that is celebrating its 35th anniversary in 2020. HCFA’s mission is to advocate for health justive in Massachusetts by working to promote…