Samaritans is seeking a Special Events Coordinator to join our development team. Working as part of a four-person team, the Special Events Coordinator is responsible for planning and implementing annual fundraising events, which deliver significant revenue for Samaritans, from start to finish. This includes coordinating corporate and in-kind sponsorships, volunteer recruitment and coordination, venue and vendor management, budget tracking, and event communications. Samaritans’ events include a 5K run/walk for 2,000 people in the fall, Breakfast for Hope for 700 people in the spring, support of a Boston Marathon Team, and various smaller events and meetings throughout the year. This is a great opportunity to really take ownership of large fundraising events while increasing your knowledge of the fundraising and non-profit field.
- Take a leadership role in the planning and implementation of fundraising special events as a part of a coordinated annual fundraising plan.
- Participate in setting and exceeding event revenue goals as a part of the agency’s annual fundraising plan.
- Responsible for logistics of Breakfast for Hope and 5K from start to finish; including venue and vendor selection and management, acquiring permits, establishing and monitoring timelines, recruiting and managing event volunteers, and day-of event management.
- Support corporate sponsorship strategy, track solicitation levels, responses and benefits. Coordinate sponsor follow-up, including guest lists, receipt of logos and ads, and payments.
- In coordination with the Development Manager and Chief Development Officer, provide support and stewardship to Hope Event Table Hosts and Captains, 5K Team Captains, and Samaritans’ Marathon runners who educate and fundraise on behalf of Samaritans.
- Coordinate production of event collateral including invitations, promotional items, signage, and program books.
- With direction and support from Development Manager, build and update annual 5K website on Peer-to-Peer fundraising platform and produce 5K recruitment and participant emails in line with communications strategy.
- Facilitate outreach for 5K Auction and Raffle prize donations.
- Serve as point person for third parties wishing to fundraise or hold an event on behalf of Samaritans (HopeRaisers). Respond to inquiries, facilitate completion of proposal forms, send requested materials, and track progress and results for each HopeRaiser.
- Work collaboratively with development and program staff to ensure Samaritans’ events are well-integrated across organization departments and programs.
- Ensure up-to-date event records using database and circulate weekly tracking reports of event progress.
- Assist with analyzing the results from each special event and developing recommendations for future events.
- Plan meetings and other smaller events as needed for board, Council, major donors, and Marathon Team.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Some local travel may be required for industry related conferences as well as visits to other agencies and event sites.
- Lifting/ moving of supplies and being outdoors, sometimes in inclement weather, for events.
- Flexibility in meeting demands and remaining positive during interactions is essential.
- Flexibility in working hours appropriate to meet responsibilities is required.
- Successfully completes Samaritans’ befriending training.
- Must possess strong written and oral communication skills, including ability to make effective and persuasive presentations to volunteers, staff, industry peers, donors, and others as required.
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive materials and communications with attention to detail and aesthetic presentation.
- Must be comfortable on the phone and email.
- Ability to interact effectively with others and resolve conflicts and internal issues appropriately.
- Functions well as a member of a team.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Highly organized and able to develop and use planning tools
- Must be detailed oriented and accomplish tasks within prescribed timeframes.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- 2 years of events experience preferred.
- Experience with database software (Raiser’s Edge) or Peer-to-Peer fundraising platform (TeamRaiser) preferred.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with others at all levels within and outside the organization.
- Ability to work with sensitive and confidential material.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required.
- Experience with WordPress and/or creating html emails a plus.
- Some experience with InDesign and Photoshop preferred
- Professional attitude, strong work ethic, and ability to think and act strategically.
- Knowledge of the field of suicide and suicide prevention a plus.
- Previous work as a volunteer or working with volunteers preferred.
- BA or BS preferred.