Our flagship high school, Brooklyn Ascend High School (BAHS), opened to 9th grade students in September 2015 and will expand by a grade per year through grade 12.
At BAHS, we are looking for educators who believe in restorative practices and teach students to resolve conflicts on their own, understand the impact of their actions, and acknowledge responsibility to the school community. We believe that a true liberal arts education – which fosters and prizes critical thinking and independence of thought—cannot be joined to a no-excuses culture that emphasizes silence and compliance. It is a flagrant contradiction. We prepare students for success in college and in life by fostering agency—our students' confidence that they are in control of their own lives and can act of their own free choices, their conviction that they can assert their voice and power in the world.
We seek deans of instruction who are passionate about both curriculum and coaching – who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content and professional development they provide to teachers. The dean of instruction is responsible for inspiring teachers to excel in their jobs and to motivate students to achieve their highest potentials. The dean will provide instructional and administrative leadership to the teaching staff, oversee the implementation of the curriculum, coordinate assessments, and monitor students' academic performance. Deans of instruction at Ascend share a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence. Discover more about BAHS<img src="https://rs.careerliaison.com/pixel/76n84xhqbncsqt3q"><img src="https://analytics.click2apply.net/v8dG5EXTjD77kUojyuRzpw">
The high school dean of instruction will observe, coach and mentor instructional staff to ensure that teaching is at all times intentional, engaging, and rigorous, and that teachers are creating a warm, structured, and restorative classroom culture. Additionally, the dean of instruction will:
- Facilitate teacher planning and development meetings to support teachers in meeting their goals and the goals of the high school and Ascend network
- Support planning and implementation of curriculum in close collaboration with teachers, MD, SD, and AL curriculum team
- Provide feedback and input to SD on teacher performance based on Ascend's Teaching and Learning framework
- Plan and execute whole school professional development sessions
- Build systems and oversee instructional and academic data to inform teaching practice and drive decision-making and instruction
- Reinforce and maintain the school's culture of high academic and character growth by utilizing the Ascend Learning philosophy that discipline is an opportunity for learning, growth, and community-building
Staff and reporting relationships:
The dean of instruction reports directly to the school director. He or she will participate as a member of the school leadership team.
- Five years of teaching experience in an urban school or experience working with urban youth.
- Experience coaching teachers required
- An entrepreneurial mindset, with experience in start-up or founding environments preferred
- Bachelor's degree, with an advanced degree strongly preferred
Skills and traits
The high school dean of instruction must demonstrate:
- A philosophy that discipline is an opportunity for learning, growth, and community-building
- Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
- Insistence on academic excellence and rigor at all times
- Strong leadership and team building skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Superb organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills
- An openness to accept and implement feedback and engage in a process of self-improvement
- Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend Learning
- Deep understanding of the common core standards
- Deep understanding of all high school assessments, including but not limited to the Regents, PSAT's, SAT's, SAT II's
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
High School Dean of Instruction