Director of Industrial Business Zones
- Job posted by South Bronx Overall Economic Development Corp. (Sobro)
555 Bergen Avenue
SoBRO was founded in 1972 by a group of business executives and community leaders. Our mission was urgent: reverse the flight of businesses and jobs from the South Bronx. It was the first and most fundamental step toward rebuilding a community whose name evoked images of burned out buildings, crime, poverty, and drugs. But as SoBRO began to evolve, it became clearer that community revitalization required a multifaceted effort.
Today we address all aspects of community development: assisting businesses to get started and grow, training residents according to the needs of employers, offering opportunities for youth to learn and develop, and creating affordable housing and commercial space that reverses blight in the community.
Since our founding in 1972, SoBRO has served over 20,000 students, helped to create and retain more than 40,000 jobs for area residents, and created the climate for hundreds of million dollars of capital investment into the South Bronx.
In early 2006, the City created 16 Industrial Business Zones across the City where expanded business services are available for industrial and manufacturing businesses. SoBRO oversees all 5 Bronx Industrial Business Zones (Hunts Point, Zerega, Port Morris, Bathgate and Eastchester). Industrial Business Zones (IBZ) serve to protect the City's critical industrial jobs by ensuring that these companies have adequate and affordable space to work and grow. The Director works with other appropriate agencies to ensure that these industrial neighborhoods are maintained to foster high-performing businesses by creating competitive advantages over locations in areas outside of New York City. Also to assist with promoting their businesses.
The role of the Director of Industrial Business Zone will require the individual to support and encourage business growth and development by helping businesses access various financial and business incentives and/or assistance programs. A working knowledge of available services and cross-marketing with multiple SoBRO Business Development programs and external service providers is essential. Manage new and existing client relationships as well as proactively identify and implement new business opportunities.
· Oversee and deliver NYC Business Solutions services to industrial businesses to ensure the Bronx IBS Program is regularly exceeding goals set by NYC Department of Small Business Services and SoBro leadership.
· Engage on a wide range of industrial businesses across the Bronx to understand their needs and make recommendations for the types of resources and services the City can provide this population of businesses to help them be successful.
· Drive business development and marketing efforts to attract and retain clients and partners.
· Collaborate across city agencies, non-profits and communities to ensure client’s strategic, financial, and organizational needs are met and small development learnings are shared.
· Use a relationship driven approach to maintaining long-term relationships with high potential, scaling industrial business clients.
· Actively supporting, promoting and driving business development efforts.
· Engage community-based organizations, community boards, Business Improvement Districts, and other relevant stakeholders in the interest of engaging industrial businesses and improving the access that they have to support services.
· Ability to identify business development opportunities based on client interactions, and possess a track record of cultivating new opportunities.
· Attend morning, evening, and weekend events, as necessary, in the interest of strengthening partnerships and business development efforts.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum 3+ years’ work experience working with entrepreneurs and industrial small business owners.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both verbal and written.
- Able to meet demanding deadlines and strong multi-tasking skills.
- Vast understanding of and connections to the NYC industrial business landscape.
- Strong ties to and knowledge of the industrial business community in the Bronx and City wide.
- Must be able to meet program outcomes and remit accurate analytical financial reports as verification.
- Solid understanding of the capital and incentive programs available to industrial businesses.
- Assist business owners with access capital or lower the cost of doing business in New York City.
- A desire to build a clear strategy and vision, as well as an appetite to take entrepreneurial initiative.
- A demonstrated capacity for collaboration and teamwork at all levels.
- A commitment to develop one's personal leadership and cultivating one's ability to lead others.
- A passion for working with small business owners.
- Demonstrated proven ability to effectively manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Superb writing and presentation skills and a high level of maturity and presence with clients.
- A willingness to challenge and be challenged and a strong analytical and critical thinking skill set.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish speaking helpful, but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For immediate consideration, email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and note the position in the subject line. All resumes will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until a candidate is selected. Only those candidates being considered will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in an internship opportunity with SoBRO.
The office is accessible - just one quarter block from the #2 and #5 subway trains and several bus lines. We are located in the heart of the South Bronx Commercial District.
SoBRO is an Equal Opportunity Employer