Position Summary: The Financial Counselor serves clients through high quality delivery of counseling that fulfills our mission of creating hope by helping people identify and secure the most important assets in their lives. Responsibilities include discussing and delivering options, making recommendations on debt, credit, assets and banking issues. The counselor will document and deliver a realistic action plan for clients to achieve their goals with continued support of their changing financial circumstances and goals. Through effective communications, the counselor will help each client understand the role he or she plays in the success of the plan. This role requires an individual with a passion for and commitment to social service, especially to low income and financially distressed individuals.
Location: Philadelphia, PA - Counselors will be located in one or more of the CareerLink Offices located in Germantown, North Philadelphia, West Philadelphia and Center City.
Key Attributes and Competencies:
- Commitment to Mission - Passion for serving low-income populations and strong and demonstrated commitment to social justice, various forms of equity, and anti-poverty initiatives. Understanding of the root causes of poverty and systems and structures that perpetuate inequality.
- Personal qualities - Clarifi requires the highest ethical standards and integrity in service to our clients and partners. The ideal candidate will possess maturity, self-awareness, empathy, flexibility, cultural humility, and an exceptional capacity for team and community building.
- Strong interpersonal and one-on-one coaching skills. Ability to form strong, trusting partnerships with clients and to provide financial coaching that is non-judgmental, empathetic, and culturally proficient.
- Interest in personal finance and comfort with quantitative calculations. Strong personal finance competencies are preferred, but not required. , Intensive training and certification in personal finance will be provided. Interest in learning about, and building proficiency in, personal and consumer finance.
- Commitment to innovation, excellence, and entrepreneurship. Energized to work in an entrepreneurial, growth-oriented nonprofit organization. Demonstrated commitment to testing and evaluating new ideas and to building a model organization. The ideal candidate will be a proactive team player with a willingness to pitch in to support larger goals. Detail-focused and strong commitment to client services and consumer protection.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills. Detail-oriented with the ability to complete work accurately and efficiently. Exceptional presentation, organizational, written and verbal communication skills. Ability to understand and develop processes to make workflows manageable and replicable. Excellent computer literacy, including web-based applications and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- College degree or a minimum of 3 years relevant work experience required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Proficiency or fluency in other languages, especially Spanish, is a plus.
Financial Counseling and Coaching
· Perform credit, debt banking and asset counseling by evaluating all possible solutions against client goals to chart a personalized course toward financial stability, which empowers the client and resolves their financial need or issue.
- Represent benefits of Clarifi counseling and programs to the client, including effective communication of an individual financial action plan, recommendations, program requirements, and client role and responsibilities necessary for their own success.
- Identify community resources, make appropriate referrals, and integrate other supports into client action plan such as public benefits, tax preparation, etc. to achieve greater results.
- Actively engage in follow up with client post-counseling to evaluate effectiveness of action plan and client’s success in following the recommendations provided by the counselor.
- Participate in intensive substantive coaching and counseling training in financial management, personal finance, credit, and homeownership. Obtain Credit Certification from the National Foundation for Credit Counseling within 30 days of hire. Additional certifications from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and NeighborWorks Center for Homeownership Education and Counseling may be necessary within required timeframes.
- Maintain counselor certification by earning required number of Professional Development Units annually through counseling, continuing education, and workshops or seminars.
- Manage confidential client information with a rigorous dedication to organizational security protocols around every aspect of client data. Activities associated with the management of client data include the creation and maintenance of client files, electronic data entry activities, direct communication with clients, and management of survey data.
- Maintain accurate client information in client management systems and document management tools, internal and external to the agency.
- Perform program related data entry with minimal errors.
- Identify and implement process changes to streamline data management efforts.
- Share client and program information with community partners through appropriate mechanisms to advance client service and program evaluation.
- Conduct quality management tasks in client and funder management databases.
- Generate reports, narratives and other documentation to show progress of clients as requested by specific projects.
General and Administrative
- Work across the agency with colleagues to resolve client issues.
- As required support office location operations by coordinating maintenance, and miscellaneous administrative functions.
- Represent Clarifi at workshops and community events as needed.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule, including days, hours and locations.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Compose correspondence and presentations with proper spelling, grammar, and articulation.
- Communicate accurately and clearly to internal employees and external partners.
- Perform special projects and/or assignments as directed by management.
Minimum Education Required