Details: Salary: $75,000 with room for growth based on individual performance and project success.
“Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?”
- Steve Jobs inviting Pepsi CEO John Scully to join him in leading Apple
The technology revolution is reshaping our world and has coincided with an equally significant development: the dramatic extension of the human lifespan. With Americans now routinely living into their 70s, 80s, 90s, and beyond, a brand new set of opportunities exists to harness the power of technology to transform the way we age.
Older Adults Technology Services (OATS) operates at the center of these intersecting revolutions, innovating new approaches that combine technology, learning, community- building, and advocacy to create pathways that produce transformational outcomes in the lives of older adults.
OATS is at the forefront of this movement. Over the last several years the organization, founded and led by acclaimed social entrepreneur Tom Kamber, has opened the world’s first technology- themed community centers for older adults, built a network of over 60 partner locations in several states and regions, created an online learning platform, and publishes a provocative and popular website, all of which are carefully designed to deliver award-winning program experiences that engage, challenge, and support seniors to embrace and use technology to build their social networks, increase their economic mobility, get healthier, learn and create, and make their voices heard on issues they care about. The OATS team and its wildly successful Senior Planet model have been featured in the Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, PBS, NPR, and the TODAY Show.
Funding partners in Colorado have invited OATS to bring Senior Planet to Denver and several other communities in Colorado, and the organization is looking for a dynamic and experienced leader to spearhead and manage Senior Planet’s presence in the state.
To learn more about OATS and its world-class programs please visit www.oats.org and www.seniorplanet.org
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to make an outsized impact on older Coloradans!
NextFifty Initiative, a Colorado foundation that funds forward-looking organizations that innovate game-changing solutions for older adults, has awarded a significant grant to OATS to bring the Senior Planet model to Colorado. The goal is to establish the physical infrastructure and programmatic offerings necessary to create a “technology adoption ecosystem” for older adults (aged 60 and older) residing in Denver and at six local partner sites around the state. The project envisions a multi-pronged strategy that includes: the establishment of a flagship full- service Senior Planet Exploration Center in Denver, free technology access and training labs at the six partner sites, and online content and learning tools to build community and support blended and distance learning.
Senior Planet’s success in Colorado will require a well-educated, experienced, energetic, and results-driven professional with great organizational skills and a well-developed network in Colorado to drive the project forward “from scratch” and ensure its success and sustainability. OATS will provide the tools, know-how, financial resources, and executive-level support from headquarters in New York and during in-person visits to Colorado. A small team will be hired to work locally in Colorado under the supervision of the Senior Planet Colorado Director.
This is not a “technology job” per se. We need a person who is credible, collaborative, and creative, with sound judgment and an entrepreneurial spirit. Working in collaboration with OATS leadership, the State Director will oversee and direct all aspects of the initiative, including:
• Identify, assess, establish and maintain relationships with external partners throughout Colorado, including community-based nonprofits in our targeted regions of the state that we will invite to help deliver the Senior Planet model locally, as well as other local, regional, and statewide aging organizations, various corporations and philanthropic funders, government officials, and media representatives.
Program Planning and Execution
- Work with OATS leadership to develop and implement an overall project plan for the first year of Senior Planet Colorado
- Recruit, hire, and manage a small program staff, including an associate and local trainers
- Contribute to and manage detailed plans for the budgets, timelines, reporting, and other project management tools, including programming and training schedules statewide
- Serve as the project leader and oversee program delivery including developing local partnerships, establishing and branding six smaller technology labs, implementing a communications and marketing plan, and manage a regional strategy required for successful phased rollout the various project components
- Lead outreach and training events and coordinate regional events as needed
- Supervise the build-out of a brand new Senior Planet Exploration Center in Denver and oversee its operation once opened
- Ensure that program outcomes are achieved and that OATS’s individual program survey instruments are being deployed
- Report key program metrics and other results on a regular basis to OATS in New York
- Build a growing base of appreciative and committed Senior Planet members (i.e., older adult program participants) through the successful operation of the Denver Senior Planet Exploration Center and six partner sites
- Promote the program to media outlets, elected officials, corporations and other potential funders, and seek and secure finial commitments to sustain and expand Senior Planet Colorado over time
- Regularly collaborate with OATS leadership on your professional development, statewide program planning, new best practices, and overall management of Senior Planet Colorado
This position will be based in the Denver, with frequent travel throughout Colorado and other areas as required. (Car required. Travel costs, including accommodation, will be paid for or reimbursed by OATS.)
The ideal candidate will exhibit the following characteristics:
- Bachelor’s Degree. Master’s or higher Degree preferred.
- Experience working with a diverse group of stakeholders, building consensus and cultivating strong working relationships, and ability to focus on attaining desired outcomes in a well- informed, mature and diplomatic manner. Previous experience working with nonprofit and for- profit communities within Denver and the surrounding communities a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, including ability to plan for, implement, track, and evaluate programs and staff participation in those programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with all levels of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven experience managing a complex workload in a fast-paced, results-driven, entrepreneurial environment.
- Managing and leading people, cultivating entrepreneurship, and learning the strengths and weaknesses of a team so as to put people in a position to succeed.
- Experience using Salesforce database, Google apps, and Microsoft Office applications, as well as (or including) project management/collaborative tools.
- A deep appreciation for the stated interests, goals, and creative and productive potential of older Coloradans.
- An affinity for mainstream consumer technology (PCs, tablets, smartphones, video gaming consoles, drones, etc.) and the ability to learn new technologies quickly and troubleshoot common tech issues as necessary.
- A sincere interest in older adults and innovation is a plus. We do not patronize or infantilize older people or take a “deficit” or “disability” view of what we consider a time of promise and productivity.
- Professional experience in the aging field is a plus, but not required.
- The ability to work full-time with a flexible schedule including some weekend and evening work
- and periods of multi-day travel required.
- Availability to commence full-time work as soon as possible.
Competitive benefits package including health insurance, vision and dental, life insurance and employer contributions to retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required