Details: Commensurate with experience
1110 Vermont Ave., NW
Position Description: America's Promise Alliance’s communications associate is a proactive, task-driven and detail-oriented team player who reports directly to the Vice President of Communications and External Relations and the Vice President of Marketing and Digital Strategy. He/she works with those teams to help optimize the organization’s online presence particularly its websites (http://americaspromise.org and http://gradnation.org) and its social media presence, and assist with media and external relations efforts. This position is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of an integrated communications team within a national youth development nonprofit organization.
· Digital Strategy - Support overall execution of digital strategy, including optimizing website and social media platform performance, digital advertising, search engine optimization, and performance data analysis.
· Email Marketing – Assist with the execution of email marketing efforts, including designing and optimizing bi-weekly newsletter, e-blast and event invites.
· Social Media – Assist with execution of social media strategy, and development of social media campaigns, community management, engagement and social advertising. Draft and manage comprehensive social media editorial calendar across Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
· Media Relations – The creation and distribution of the daily Ed-Lines email with news you can use. Assist with media relations efforts, including the development of media materials, such as backgrounder profiles and press releases, as well as pitching reporters, maintaining media lists and tracking media activity.
· External Relations – Work closely with media team to oversee the onboarding of new APA CommNet members and develop new relationships with external organizations and individuals, as appropriate.
· Project Management – Assist with managing projects, timelines, and day-to-day calendars, as needed, to ensure projects are executed well and stakeholder needs are met consistently.
· Writing – Some writing, reviewing and content generation assignments will be expected to support the editorial team.
· Research – Assist with communications research projects, as appropriate.
· Analytics – Work in collaboration with media, digital and editorial team leads to pull analytics and prepare monthly and project specific reports.
· List Management – Lead on building and maintaining journalist Twitter list, media, speaking engagement and awards lists.
· Events – Provide ongoing support for APA CommNet and other events.
· High school graduate with 1-3 years of full-time work or intern experience in a communications-related field preferred.
· Experience managing day-to-day administrative tasks such as managing calendars, meetings, project plans, note taking and timelines.
· Strong interest in digital and media relations.
· Previous experience with youth development, community engagement or building online communities a plus.
· Familiarity with content management systems (Drupal) and basic HTML as well as Cision or Meltwater a plus.
· Preference will be given to individuals proven to be self-starters and unafraid to learn new technologies.
· to communicate tactfully and effectively with internal and external contacts at all levels.
· Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and handle unanticipated demands and requests.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, a collaborative style, ability to engage colleagues.
· High attention to detail and strong organization skills, including timeliness and accuracy.
· Solid skills in researching and using the web as a tool for information.
· Mastery of Microsoft Office applications required.
· Strong interest in youth development/education ideal.
About America’s Promise Alliance
America’s Promise Alliance is committed to being a workplace of choice for professionals from all business sectors who are interested in dedicating a portion of their careers to bettering the lives of young Americans. We are devoted to helping to create the conditions for success for all young people, including the millions currently being left behind. Our work is powered by our belief that all children are capable of learning and thriving, and that every individual, institution and sector shares the responsibility to help young people succeed. We are the nation’s largest partnership of our kind, bringing together hundreds of national nonprofits, businesses, communities, educators and ordinary citizens behind the idea of making the promise of America accessible to all young people. To learn more visit, www.AmericasPromise.org.
America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks and welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise Team and is committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Minimum Education Required