Details: DOE; includes generous health care and other benefits.
The United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 21 is seeking an experienced Retail Union Representative. Position requires willingness to work long and irregular hours, strong listening, speaking, and writing skills. Basic computer literacy required, advanced a plus. Must have some experience with unions (as a member, steward, intern or staffer) or other demonstrated commitment to social change. Spanish speaker preferred.
· Identifying and developing leaders, moving and assessing workers and recruiting and training union stewards
· Reading and understanding collective bargaining agreements and enforcing those agreements through workplace action, grievance investigation and timely filing of grievances
· Leadership recruitment and mobilization for contract negotiations.
· Mobilizing members to take political action.
· Ability to inspire and motivate workers.
· Ability to work independently.
· Effective oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to exercise judgment under stress.
· Ability to work well with diverse people.
· Ability to mentor stewards.
· Prior experience as a union organizer, shop stewards or union representative preferred.
· Computer literacy preferred.
· Ability to speak language(s) in addition to English preferred.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. UFCW 21 is an equal opportunity employer. We offer an excellent wage package including medical and pension benefits under the Pacific Northwest Staff Union agreement.
Minimum Education Required