The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist position is expected to lead the Monitoring and Evaluation efforts and support the anticipated cooperation agreement of the Office of International Labor Affairs (ILAB), United States Department of Labor (USDOL, or the Department) .
The grant will finance a technical assistance project in Mexico to strengthen the capacity of governments and the private sector to address child labor and / or forced labor and violations of acceptable working conditions.
- Develop overall framework for grant M&E in accordance with design document and donor requirements.
- Identify the basic information needs of grant administration, partners, and funding agencies; Participate in the development of the annual work plan and budget, ensuring alignment with the technical strategy.
- Promote participatory planning and monitoring by involving the main stakeholders in monitoring and evaluating activities.
- Conduct a readiness assessment: system-level incentives, beneficiaries, and existing capacity
- Stay up-to-date on change progress and grant / program progress to advise and recommend tools and strategies to increase program performance and outcomes.
- Identify the requirement to collect baseline data, prepare terms of reference, and organize a baseline survey as needed.
Implementation / Execution
- Monitor and execute M&E activities with special emphasis on results and impacts, as well as lessons learned.
- Conduct regular field visits to support M&E implementation and to identify where adaptations might be necessary.
- Clarify and / or facilitate the process of monitoring and evaluation of the sub-beneficiaries.
- Identify the need and draft the ToR for specific studies; Recruit, guide and supervise consultants or organizations that are hired to implement surveys and special studies required to evaluate the effects and impacts of the grants.
- Carry out periodic field visits to guarantee the quality of the data collected by the Programs and verify the accuracy of the data reported.
- Guide staff and implementing partners in the preparation of their progress reports in accordance with approved reporting formats and ensure their timely submission. This includes quarterly progress reports, annual project reports, inception reports, and ad-hoc technical reports.
- Prepare consolidation progress reports for grant management, including identification of problems, causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation, and provision of specific recommendations.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in existing data collection and management systems and propose solutions to improve knowledge management activities.
- Develop tools and their reviews as well as data collection procedures (eg logical framework, project performance monitoring, indicators, data flow diagram, M&E manuals).
_ Capacity development / Continuous learning _
- Design and implement a system to identify, analyze, document and disseminate lessons learned.
- Verify that follow-up data is discussed in the appropriate forum and in a timely manner in terms of implications for future actions. If necessary, create such discussion forums to fill in any gaps.
- Monitor the follow-up of the evaluation recommendations.
- Support project / program staff on ways to properly document, organize, and capture program progress.
- Facilitate, act as a resource person and join, if necessary, external monitoring and evaluation missions.
- Organize (and provide) refresher training in M&E for grant staff, implementing partners, local organizations and primary stakeholders with a view to strengthening local M&E capacity.
- Network with external and internal VM partners to promote learning and achieve excellence in M&E.
Minimum education, training and experience requirements to qualify for the position:
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in a senior M&E position responsible for implementing M&E activities for international development projects.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in statistics, demography, public policy, international development, economics, or related field. A master's or bachelor's degree plus an advanced certificate in M&E, statistics, or economics is preferred.
- Proven success in the design, implementation and operation of project M&E systems from project inception to closing stages.
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, goal setting, reporting, and development of performance monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Experience in the development of reporting tools, including in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience in the development and improvement of data collection tools.
- Experience with evaluations and monitoring of data quality.
- Experience in the management and continuous training of M&E field officers.
- Ability to facilitate and serve as project liaison for externally managed evaluations.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required.