ROC- MA Lead Organizer Responsibilities:
- Grow and develop ROC MA’s worker membership and leadership significantly.Create a large and active enough worker base to lead and win local ‘One Fair Wage’ campaigns, and then ensure implementation and enforcement of One Fair Wage. The Lead Organizer should make sure that ROC-MA is benefiting from and justifying the expansion of COLORSRestaurant and our CHOW job training program at COLORS, by developing worker leaders from the hundreds of workers who go through our training programs.This includes: conducting daily outreach to restaurant workers, and engaging worker leaders in doing the same; conducting political education with workers going through ROC’s CHOW job training program; using our legal program to develop strategic workplace justice campaigns that support the One Fair Wage campaign; identifying and developing worker leaders; collecting dues from worker leaders, and establishing and growing worker committees.
- Work with the ROC’s management team, worker and employer members of ROC MA, and local allies to develop policy proposals that will advance ‘One Fair Wage’ in MA, and support ROC’s national One Fair Wage policy efforts.
- Lead the development of overall campaign and strategy together with the Northeast Regional Director;
- Conduct individual and group meetings with workers to plan and implement the organizing campaigns;
- Develop leadership and political consciousness among restaurant workers through training, relationship building, and shared experiences;
- Motivate individual workers and groups of workers to take action;
- Strategically identify and engage local community allies
- Coordinatea coalition of local organizations, employers, academics, attorneys, City, State and federal officials, and workers to advance ‘One Fair Wage’ policy measures in the region.
- Represent ROC to other institutions, press, and priority relationships and lead local implementation of national communications plans;
- Supervise ROC MA’s part-time organizer, both in running our CHOW training program, and in general working to build a base of active and mobilized restaurant workers mobilizing for One Fair Wage.
The Lead Organizer position is intended to be a senior-level, experienced position. The Lead Organizerwill report directly to the Northeast Regional Director.
- 5-7 years labor/community member organizing and base-building experience;
- Experience coalition building, and understanding of member leadership development;
- Experience in designing policy and policy campaigns;
· Maintenance of a professional attitude and strong ethical practice and a willingness to learn and grow
- Strong communication, leadership, and management skills;
- Possess reliable transportation and willingness to travel extensively
· Demonstrated commitment to racial, social, and economic justice; and significant experience working collaboratively with persons of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, socioeconomic status, ages, and sexual orientations
- Restaurant work experience a plus; and
- Fluency in oral and written Spanish strongly preferred.