Full Time Temporary
40 Wall Street
In July and August of 2018, the Girl Scouts of Greater New York (GSGNY) will offer 7 day camp sites throughout the 5 boroughs. The focus of this program is to provide opportunities for elementary school-aged girls to explore the natural world, enjoy the health benefits of the outdoors, and learn about the environment through creative science projects and trips to unique places. This program reinforces science concepts and literacy, combatting summer learning loss. The program will be based in schools or other community buildings and will include at least 3 weekly excursions to parks, beaches, and outdoors spaces throughout New York City.
Are you ready the change to life of a girl?
We are seeking Counselors who can lead dynamic, educational and enriching programs at one of seven camp locations. This temporary position will be responsible for providing a safe and enriching experience for campers. Counselors will oversee campers and lead various activities throughout the summer at the day camp, including hands-on S.T.E.A.M., nutritional, environmental, literacy and trip outings. Counselors will help create and support a safe, healthy and positive camp culture that is in line with the Girl Scout’s mission.
The candidate will be required to attend trainings as needed at the GSGNY office in June and July, 2018 in preparation for the summer program. The GSGNY’s day camp program will run for 7 or 8 weeks from July 9- August 31st, 2018.
· Lead and help lead dynamic, safe and engaging activities for the campers throughout the day.
· Oversee and supervise campers throughout the day, and maintain 1:5 ratio at all times.
· Maintain a safe, supportive day camp environment for all campers, following all safety protocols.
· Work closely with the Camp Director and the camp team to create a program that supports hands-on learning, leadership skills and environmental stewardship.
· Act as chaperone and supervise campers when on off-site trips.
· Perform all necessary day-to-day administrative duties including, but not limited to: taking attendance, filing any necessary incident reports and creating trip buddy lists.
· Monitor camper behavior closely and report any incidents to Camp Director as soon as possible.
· Participate in weekly fire drills, chaperoning campers and following protocols.
· Sign-in and sign-out campers with approved guardians.
· 1+ years’ experience working with elementary-aged children.
· High school Diploma or GED required.
· 18+ years of age.
· Must commit to working for the entire duration of program at one site.
· Enthusiasm for empowering girls to learn and practice new skills.
· Willingness to learn and participate in physical/outdoor activities new to you
· Adventurous spirit.
· A strong interest in the environment and outdoor education.
· Must complete a NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services background check and fingerprint analysis against the Sex Offender Registry.
· Must provide a physical exam from licensed doctor that occurred after September 2017.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified individuals should send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.