The primary responsibility of this position is to provide Illinois Domestic Violence Act (IDVA) legal advocacy, assist them in obtaining Orders of Protection, educate victims on their rights as a victim of crime as it pertains to the IDVA and the Violent Crime Victims Assistance Program. The Legal Advocate will provide services to victims of domestic violence at the residential Shelter Program, and in domestic violence court. The Residential Legal Advocate reports to the Outreach Legal Advocate.
Bachelor’s Degree preferred; Associates Degree with social services experience accepted. Excellent written and verbal skills needed with demonstrated computer skills. Candidate must be able to maintain positive relationships with a wide variety of agencies and client populations, 40-hour domestic violence training a plus. Knowledge of issues pertaining to the needs of battered women and children is a plus.
- Educate victims on their rights as a crime victim. Provide emotional support as victims seek to obtain Orders of Protection and VCVA services
- Provide advocacy, individual counseling, civil legal advocacy, and criminal legal advocacy, crisis intervention, safety planning, danger assessment, emotional support, referrals and domestic violence educational groups VCVA services, and direct services to victims of domestic violence, including crisis intervention, emotional support, safety planning, IDVA legal advocacy, referrals, domestic violence education as well as educational group services.
- Provide IDVA groups to educate victims regarding Orders of Protection, VCVA, victims’ rights, Automated Victim’s Notification System, Crime Victim’s Compensation
- Assist clients in completing OP paperwork, accompany clients to court, assist them in completing the OP petition, prepare the client to present their case to the judge
- Provide follow-up services to residential and outreach clients, as well as assist in obtaining upgraded Orders of Protection.
- Maintain and update client files.
- Provide telephone counseling to remind victims of upcoming court date and emotional support
- Advocate on behalf of clients with police, State’s Attorneys, and other service providers to ensure that clients are receiving needed services.
- Cover 24 hour crisis line; provide crisis intervention counseling, telephone and in-person intake, domestic violence eligibility assessment, information and referral.
- Provide individual counseling and support services to victims of domestic violence in order that they may reconcile their feelings regarding the domestic violence they have experienced.
- Complete client service grids weekly and monthly as appropriate.
- Complete client service plans and update the documents with follow-up dates of services provided as appropriate.
- The Residential Legal Advocate is responsible for no less than 20 hours a week in documented counseling hours.
- Encourage a positive atmosphere for shelter/community living environment.
- Participate in staff meeting and training seminars.
- Additional duties as assigned
Schedule consists of 40 hours per week: Sundays - Wednesdays, 8 am to 4 pm, Thursdays, 4 pm to 12 am. Must be flexible.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-lingual (English/Spanish speaking) is a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.