Details: Compensation is commensurate with experience.
1736 Franklin Street
Worksafe is Hiring! Worksafe is looking for a Communications & Administrative Assistant to support our mission to advance the rights of low income, immigrant, and vulnerable workers throughout California. The position is based in Oakland, California.
ABOUT US: Worksafe is a California-based nonprofit that advocates for the basic right of all workers to a safe, healthy, and fair workplace. We advocate for strong worker health and safety laws and effective remedies for injured workers. We also engage in campaigns with worker organizations and activist networks to eliminate workplace hazards, and we watchdog government agencies to ensure they are protecting workers.
In addition to advocacy and policy work, we are a support center for California legal aid organizations whose clients face workplace health or safety hazards, suffer injuries, or face retaliation at work for exercising their rights under health and safety laws. We provide legal aid groups with training, technical assistance, and litigation support, improving access to justice for low-wage and immigrant workers – workers most vulnerable to having their rights violated or suffering workplace injuries.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Communications & Administrative Assistant is responsible for creating engaging communications and delivering skilled administrative support. This person will ensure the daily functioning and health of our organization by maintaining our administrative systems. They will also assist with internal and external communications across multiple platforms, for a variety of audiences.
As with many small nonprofits, people on the Worksafe team wear multiple hats, and the job functions of the Communications & Administrative Assistant reflect that need for versatility. The ideal candidate has a passion for social justice, excellent writing skills, strong computer skills, an eye for technical accuracy, and a willingness to perform critical support functions of the organization.
- Formulate powerful messages about worker health and workplace justice for multiple audiences, including workers, labor advocates, attorneys, and public health professionals
- Write, edit, design, and disseminate a variety of communications products for print and web (email newsletters, social media posts, donor communications, reports, marketing materials, etc.)
- Manage and track the reach of Worksafe’s website and social media accounts
- Help create and maintain internal communications protocols (editorial calendar, style guide, etc.)
- Monitor and make suggestions to grow the reach of Worksafe’s communications efforts
- Other duties as assigned
- Process vendor invoices, purchase requests, and expense reimbursements
- Provide clerical support with accounts payable and receivable
- Support the Executive Director with general administrative functions
- Provide administrative support to special projects and campaigns
- Facilitate regular internal communications, including staff-wide announcements, and manage the staff calendar
- Answer Worksafe’s main telephone line and direct calls
- Process ingoing and outgoing mail and monitor Worksafe’s general inquiry email addresses
- Maintain office records in paper and cloud-based filing systems in compliance with our policies
- Help update and maintain Worksafe’s CRM platform (Salesforce)
- Order, stock, and manage office supplies
- Maintain and manage vendor lists and relationships
- Provide logistical support for meetings, events, trainings, travel, and conference calls
- Other duties as assigned
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Superior writing, verbal communication, editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong interest in office administration and fiscal operations
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, and time-management skills
- Strong attention to detail and technical accuracy
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required
- Experience with social media platforms required
- Knowledge of Quickbooks Online a plus
- Experience working with websites a plus
- Familiarity with Salesforce or similar CRM system a plus
- Graphic design and/or production experience a plus
- Bilingual in a language of one or more California immigrant worker populations a plus
- Passion for protecting the health and safety of workers, their families, and communities required
This position is based in Oakland, California. This is a full-time position.
Worksafe is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage women, people of color, and LGBTQ people to apply.
While this position will remain open until filled, please submit your application by August 10th for priority consideration. If we consider you for an interview we will request references and a writing sample.
For more about Worksafe, please visit our website at www.worksafe.org.
Our generous benefits package includes employee medical, dental, 401k with employer contribution, and commuter benefits.
Minimum Education Required