Details: Salary set depending on experience and skills.
6th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Accelerate Change is seeking a detail-oriented manager who learns quickly, can juggle multiple priorities, and is excited to use their operations skills to help unlock the growth of a network of progressive social ventures that reach millions of people every day.
The manager will report to the President and will support a wide range of operations including hiring processes, new staff onboarding, financial management, team event planning/implementation, and grant reporting.
Flexible. You will mostly work remotely with the option to work from home or in a co-working space. Some travel (2-3 times / year) may be required.
About Accelerate Change
Accelerate Change is a nonprofit laboratory (501c3/501c4) dedicated to catalyzing new scalable, financially self sustainable models for progressive citizen organizing.
We help social change organizations build the people power and financial resources needed to make the lasting public policy changes that are essential for all communities to thrive. Drawing upon the lessons from some of the largest and most impactful social change institutions, our theory of change is based on the idea that membership organizations can experience explosive, financially sustainable growth when they provide a robust set of benefits and services that have an outstanding value to the people they seek to organize. We call this “functional organizing” and you can learn more about our model for scalable citizen organizing in the article, “The Secret of Scale” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Accelerate Change helps start-up ventures and established organizations scale their relationships with constituencies using lean startup methodologies and other business strategies. We focus on testing services (digital and offline) that provide real value in people’s everyday lives and that are financially self-sustainable. Read more about our approach to experimentation in the article, “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” also from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Accelerate Change supports some of the fastest growing digital organizing ventures in the country such as PushBlack, Revolution English, and ParentsTogether. For example, PushBlack builds trusted subscriber relationships with African-Americans through daily black history and news stories that then lead to political and advocacy actions. PushBlack has grown to over 2M mobile messaging subscribers (SMS+Messenger) over the past 18 months and is adding over 200,000 new subscribers per month.
Accelerate Change also works with a select group of progressive organizations, including Human Rights Campaign, the Sierra Club, and National Domestic Workers Alliance, to experiment with new digital media initiatives.
Accelerate Change’s team of 12 staff bring a mix of tech, business, organizing, and media backgrounds and have deep experience with the diverse communities that we engage. Accelerate Change is a part of the Public Interest Network, a group of nonprofit citizen organizations.
Accelerate Change draws on the centralized finance, HR, and legal teams of the Public Interest Network for the management of our operations. As we grow, we have an additional need for an Operations Manager who can interface with these central finance, HR, and legal teams and support operations activities specific to our team, including:
- Recruiting and onboarding new staff
- Supporting corporate filings and administration (with guidance from the Public Interest Network legal team)
- Preparing and tracking requisitions, invoices, and reimbursements
- Planning and coordinating logistics for in-person and online events and meetings
- Arranging travel, flights, and accommodation for staff for team gatherings
- Document management (updating documents, organizing digital files, etc.)
- Conducting research as needed for a range of topics
- Working closely with the President of Accelerate Change, including scheduling and meeting follow-ups
- Working smoothly with finance, legal, and HR departments
- Be a jack of all trades who can help with the diverse needs of fast-moving startups
- Commitment to Social Justice: Accelerate Change is a mission-driven organization focused on creating progressive policy and political change, particularly with low-income communities and communities of color. Applicants should have demonstrated a commitment to social justice and social change through their work and volunteer experiences.
- Ridiculously organized and responsible so you can work with sensitive information in a timely manner
- Comfortable enough with numbers to analyze and build spreadsheets, and to manage financial details (though you don’t have to be a finance expert)
- Team-oriented and enjoy working collaboratively with team members working remotely around the US
- Comfort working with ventures across industries and with constituents and employees who come from a wide array of backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills
- Proficient with G Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, web research, social media, and basic computer software
- Have at least 6 years of post-college work experience, ideally most or all of which is relevant to this position
We offer a competitive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to David Ellmann, Venture Manager, at email@example.com.
Accelerate Change is a project of the Center for Public Interest Research which is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBT-identified, women, and gender non-conforming people are strongly encouraged to apply.