Details: mid-high 30's
421 5th Ave.
BAX/Brooklyn Arts Exchange is seeking an Education Manager
BAX/Brooklyn Arts Exchange is a community based performing arts center dedicated to developing artists of all ages, from children to professionals. The organization offers community access to arts and culture, supporting the creation of new work by emerging artists, engaging diverse audiences and providing arts education to youth and families. BAX has intentionally constructed an environment where children study and professional artists create under the same roof. Students are mentored by professional directors and choreographers. The organization’s distinct focus on developmental process makes it a nurturing incubator for experimental dance and theater artists and is an important advocate for under-represented voices in the New York City performing arts community.
We seek a Full Time Education Manager to support our youth educational programs in dance, theater and tumbling. The ideal person has at least 2-3 years of professional experience working as a programs administrator, has a passion and enthusiasm for youth education and experience/knowledge in dance/theater education and performance. The Manager must enjoy working collaboratively in a broad range of settings with a diverse group of people and in a multi-faceted and fast-paced organization. Manager works closely with Education Director on program planning, including annual class schedules and descriptions, as well as program assessment. Planning and assessment also includes participating in and integrating broader, org-wide, racial equity and inclusion efforts. A successful candidate is energetic and personable with strong public-speaking and family/community outreach skills. The ideal candidate is an excellent administrator, highly detail-oriented, and effective at developing and maintaining internal management systems. The position reports to the Education Director and co-supervises Education Assistant and Education Interns. The Education Manager also works closely with, and provides administrative support to, the School Breaks Director, Youthworks Director (seasonal) and BAX Faculty (approximately 20).
BAX’s educational programs include six days a week of year-round dance, theater and tumbling classes from tots – high school students, 6-7 youth performing workshops/companies, arts education programs in 5-7 Brooklyn public schools and local pre-schools, two free education festivals, two week-long school break programs and a full day seven- week summer program in the performing arts for 5-11 year olds.
· Support all Educational programs, including six days a week of youth classes and youth performance-based workshops, seasonal programs and annual special events, including providing administrative and direct support to culminating youth performances (gathering tech/program information, coordinating performance filming, costume organizing, hosting events, etc.).
· Manage departmental and inter-departmental project work-back schedules and organize event planning detail.
· Organize youth class schedules, pricing, discounts and registration tracking systems – class calendars (print, online registration, and database); provide regular registration updates and enrollment assessments, wait-lists, and financial aid allocations; serve as department liaison with front desk administrators to provide ongoing program and system updates.
· Administer family, community and BAX faculty communication, including regular updates, announcements, permission slips, program/outreach opportunities, etc.
· Maintain up-to-date department, program and tuition policy information on website, including changing class/program information, performance schedules, strategic highlights, as well as more general information on philosophy, faculty bios, etc.
· Contribute to marketing content; advise on marketing & communication schedules; actively participate in Education and Marketing & Communication departmental meetings, including developing meeting agendas with M&C Manager.
· With guidance from Education Director and School Breaks Director, manage the hiring of School Break Arts Program’s Junior and Senior Counselor staff and CITs; build seasonal staff pay schedules and track year-round and seasonal faculty contracts and HR materials.
· Participate in departmental racial equity and inclusion strategizing with faculty professional development cohort.
· Provide some administrative training and guidance to seasonal education interns.
· Track department petty cash and specific program budgets.
- BA or BFA in arts or arts education field preferred. Dance and theater education/strong interest required.
- No less than two years of administrative experience, preferably with arts education and within the non-profit sector.
- Excellent administrative, organizational, multi-tasking and time-management skills; exceptional writing skills, attention to detail, deadlines, and project work-back schedules.
- Ability to manage and develop administrative systems and databases (FileMaker or equivalent).
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative, public-speaking and communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience with basic computer technology including database (Filemaker or equivalent), Microsoft office, social media, WordPress; comfort with web design a strong plus.
- Working knowledge of NYC public school system a plus.
The Education Manager’s schedule is generally 10am-6pm, Mondays-Fridays, with at least one departmental weekend/evening event per month. Comp time is provided to offset any additional weekly hours.
The salary range for this position is mid-high 30's and is commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes medical health insurance, paid vacation and sick days, and the opportunity to contribute tax-free to a 403b plan, flexible spending account, and Transit Chek. This is an excellent professional development and growth opportunity for someone looking to draw from BAX’s 25 plus years of experience providing youth and family services.
This position is open until filled. However, it is our intention to interview throughout late-April to early-May. Ideally the position will start the week of May 14 with a paid 2.5 week training period with current Education Manager. BAX’s 17/18 school year culminates on June 16. Year-end class concerts take place the weekend of June 9/10th for which the Education Manager must be present in its entirety (all day events). Summer Arts Program begins July 2nd with staff training taking place two weeks prior between June 17-July 1st. Education Manager will participate in and co-facilitate some training.
To learn more about BAX and BAX Youth Education, please visit www.bax.org and www.youth.bax.org
BAX/Brooklyn Arts Exchange is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and developing an inclusive staff team. People of color and individuals of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Medical, Paid Vacation and Sick Days, Transit Chek, 403B.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (PDF’s preferred) with subject line: “Education Manager Position.”