Internal Job Title: Senior Associate Director of Product Development
External Job Title: Sr. Business Intelligence Developer
The Senior Associate Director (SAD) of Product Development will be the backbone of Uncommon’s innovation efforts to ensure that our Home Office, Regions and Schools have the technology solutions required to accomplish the organization’s strategic goals. They will develop a deep understanding of needs across all levels of the organization and implement new technology and data solutions to Uncommon’s most pressing problems. The SAD will work with the Director of Product Development.
This individual will work closely with other team members, outsourced senior application developers, and owners of the data sources. The SAD will be responsible for providing access to the data via reports, data extracts, and analysis tools, the development of ETL components and for coding stored procedures. To be successful, the role will require the individual to understand the K-12 data landscape (e.g. assessments, SIS, standards), and to have the ability to gather reporting requirements, design reports and release them into production.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Product Management and Development:
- Partner with instructional, operational, regional and HO teams to develop reports and address data needs to provide reporting solutions
- Facilitate collaboration and communication with internal partners to understand data needs, clarify requirements, and navigate and resolve priorities
- Synthesize and translate instructional and business data needs into creative visualizations and tools
- Develop, maintain and lead advanced reporting, analytics, dashboards and other BI solutions primarily in, but not limited to, Tableau, which includes other reporting tools like PowerBI, etc
- Align/standardize team members on practices around BI implementations (especially using Tableau server)
- Perform and document data analysis, data validation, data mapping/design, by accessing multiple sources, specifically data residing in source systems
- Standardize data collection by developing methods for database design and validation reports
- Provide application analysis and data modeling design to collect data for centralized data warehouse
- Extract data from databases and data warehouses for reporting and to facilitate sharing between multiple data systems
- Exceptional strategic, analytical and critical thinking skills
- Solid attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong end-user orientation; deep concern and empathy for users and internal partners
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and take initiative
- Excellent organization, time management, and tenacious follow-up skills; ability to prioritize and work in a fast-paced environment
- Able to establish credibility with internal/external developers and vendors and to learn new tools, systems and processes quickly
- Thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements
- Hardworking with a commitment to high standards of excellence and an enthusiastic approach to one’s work.
Technical Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a quantitative subject area with 5+ years of work experience technical field
- 3+ years of experience with Business Intelligence (Tableau strongly preferred)
- Understanding of SQL, relational databases & normalization
- High level proficiency in Excel (macros, pivot tables, etc.)
- Expertise in developing, maintaining and managing dashboards & underlying analytics, preferably with working knowledge of Tableau server administration/architecture
- Proficient in the use of query and reporting analysis tools.
- Storyteller capable of delivering creative design and interactive data visualizations.
- Understanding of data warehouse concepts along with knowledge of SQL to write complex, optimized queries across volumes of data.
- Product Management and Production Control experience
- Mentor/Train junior developers and Power Business users (note: this position has no direct management responsibilities)
- Experience with creation and maintenance of documents, knowledge/support articles for varying level of user groups
Technical Skills Preferred:
- Hands-on experience of RDBMS systems, specifically ORACLE
- Exposure to R development a big plus
- Solid understanding of multiple scripting/programming languages
- Experience with stored procedures and views in MS SQL or ORACLE database a plus
- Experience working with API integrations
- Experience working with insourced and outsourced development teams adhering to the same coding standards and style guides
- Experience designing, implementing and leading training for a range of audiences (technical, power user, and end user)
- Preference will be given to candidates with:
- End-to-End Tableau development experience from Tableau data model publication, interactive dashboard design/development to deployment/maintenance. Hands-on skills with use of action filters, user filters, calculations and Level-of-Detail (LOD) expressions
- Experience tuning the performance of Tableau Server dashboards to minimize the data and rendering refresh cycles and optimize the end user experience
- Tableau Certification
- Previous experience in K-12 public education strongly preferred.