The National Consumers League (NCL), America’s pioneering consumer advocacy organization, is seeking a highly motivated staff member with a strong commitment to public interest work. The League (www.nclnet.org) is a national nonprofit organization that years has been protecting and promoting social and economic justice for consumers and workers in the United States since 1899. NCL focuses on fraud prevention and education, food and drug safety, teen-consumer literacy, child labor, and fair labor standards.
The primary purpose of the Communications Manager is to effectively promote the National Consumers League, its programs, brand, people, and mission to our varied audiences.
Reporting to NCL’s Vice President Communications, and working alongside other members of the department, the Communications Manager takes ownership over projects and tasks; coordinates inter-and intra-departmental activities, including ongoing and special projects; gathers and relays information accurately; contributes to strategic planning; and enhances the Communications Department’s ability to function independently and as a service arm to other programs and departments.
A successful Communications Manager at NCL will have: a passion for promoting the public interest; a strong work ethic; excellent attention to detail; high standards for quality communications materials across all channels and formats.
The Communications Manager should have a minimum of five years of professional experience in a related field. The Communications Manager is expected to contribute to and lead communications efforts including, but not limited, to: content production, graphics, social media management, media outreach and public relations, and digital media elements of the department’s work including audio, visual, and virtual events.
KEY REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Superb, professional verbal and written communications skills
• Strong graphic design skills (must be able to hit the ground running, producing brochures, logos, one-pagers, newsletters, reports, infographics, etc.)
• Experience with WordPress CMS and email marketing platforms generally
• Strong interest in and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media
• Ability to work independently and on a team
• Ability to take initiative to develop new strategies and outside-the-box ideas
• Demonstrated project management and time management skills
• Creativity, adaptability, and comfortable receiving feedback
• Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management and colleagues
• Comfortable with a long to-do list and tight deadlines
• Experience working in a remote environment and/or reporting to a remote supervisor
Graphic design (30%)
• Coordinate in-house design of digital and print publications and graphics, working with department head on final review and approval.
• Help manage NCL’s We Can Do This! podcast: coordination of recording time, assist with drafting scripts, working with production vendor, responsible for promoting podcast and growth in listenership.
• Take ownership over chronicling NCL activities with visuals by capturing images and effectively organizing / storing them. Will require attending events outside the organization.
• Communicate with external vendors and serve as a printer liaison.
Social media and website management (40%)
• In partnership with Communications and other staff, manage and write content for NCL’s multiple social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.
• Monitor analytics and compile reports to present to department head and others. Make recommendations on strategy; seek to grow communities and reach.
• Create and execute online campaigns, toolkits to promote NCL activities and encourage NCL’s constituency to engage with the organization.
• Help maintain NCL’s main website and blogs.
• Work with Communications staff to coordinate support for other program and websites.
• Track web analytics of NCL’s websites and identify ways to improve engagements.
• Respond to incoming requests from consumers and “contact us” form submissions.
Media relations (10%)
• Field reporter inquiries and serve as a point of contact for press, assist with coordination of interviews. Occasionally attend media events or interviews.
• Work with program staff to edit and distribute press releases, op-eds, articles, and reports for public release.
Content, messaging, strategy (10%)
• Collaborate within department and with external colleagues to enhance organizational communications, approach challenges, manage events, create campaigns, etc.
• Create written content for various organizational platforms and channels
• Add value to strategic communications planning and content development, understanding the organization’s unique voice, creating appropriate messaging, and helping others on staff develop in this area
• Represent Communications Department internally and with VIP audiences, including Board, partners, donors, vendors, etc.
Project management (10%)
• Identify opportunities for increasingly independent management of tasks and activities, as well as areas of collaboration between departments.
• Responsible for archiving communications publications.
This position is based in the DC area, reporting to NCL’s downtown Washington, DC office a minimum of two days per week.
The National Consumers League (NCL), America’s pioneering consumer advocacy organization, is seeking a highly motivated staff member with a strong commitment to public interest work. The League (www.nclnet.org) is a…
Salary based on experience and education, competitive with other nonprofit public interest organizations. Excellent benefits, including health, dental, short and long-term disability, life insurance, 401(k), employer transportation contributions, annual and sick leave, and federal holidays. NCL is an equal opportunity employer.
Salary based on experience and education, competitive with other nonprofit public interest organizations. Excellent benefits, including health, dental…
Only applications that include a cover letter will be considered. Please submit cover letter, résumé, and at least two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Communications Manager” in the subject line. If selected for hire, candidates must agree to undergo a background check and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Only applications that include a cover letter will be considered. Please submit cover letter, résumé, and at least two writing samples to email@example.com and reference…