29-76 Northern Blvd.
Long Island City
Title: Employment Specialist
Unit: Employment Services
Reports to: Program Coordinator
Status: Full Time; Regular; Non - Exempt
Job Code: TBD
Location: 5 boroughs, with central LIC office
Days/Hours: 5 days/35 hours per week, which may include evenings
Date Prepared: May 17, 2018
This position is part of Fortune’s “Jails to Jobs” (J2J) program, an initiative to service persons in the community with touchpoints with Rikers Island Correctional Facility. She/he will be responsible for developing transitional work opportunities (subsidized employment) for program participants; Direct placement of jobseekers; placement through referral/collaboration with other entities; case coordination with program case managers and program facilitators; Creating, reviewing and updating participants resumes; Providing job interview coaching, strategically placing participants based on skill set and overall ability; collaborating with staff to support tracking post-placement outcomes; and providing supervised weekly job search activity for all clients on caseload.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Cultivate and maintain relationships with partners and employers to provide J2J program participants with transitional work opportunities;
· Collaborate with J2J program staff to coordinate the best possible service plans/tracks for program participants;
· Conduct site visits with partners and employers to ensure program participants are succeeding during their transitional work experiences;
· Utilize a strategic, individualized approach to place J2J program participants in sustainable jobs and facilitate replacement services for employers and jobseekers when necessary;
· Establish relationships with transitional work partners and employers that will allow the flow of information regarding problems, complaints, and progress of recently placed jobseekers; identify and discuss corrective action strategies with direct supervisor as needed;
· Provide program participants the skills they need to assist in their self-directed job search at agency and field activity;
· Demonstrate to employers the effectiveness and profitability of employing Fortune’s
Jobseekers by identifying positions commensurate with their skill sets;
· Educate employers on the socioeconomic advantages of hiring from Fortune’s pool of candidates; be able to cite recent departmental employment statistics and competitive advantages of hiring from Fortune;
· Assist in the completion of strong working resumes for each J2J participant and ensure the candidate’s ability to speak to their resume prior to their interview(s); instruct applicants in job search and interviewing techniques as needed;
· Maintain regular phone, email, and in-person communication with clients in account base; document all pertinent discussions, milestones, events, and incidents in real-time in the Fortune’s database system(s);
· Support J2J and program staff with obtaining post-placement retention updates;
· Assist in community outreach events and resource fairs as needed;
· Conduct 1-on-1 counseling sessions with program participants as needed;
· Attend weekly case conferences and planning meetings with program staff; and
· Provide additional program and administrative support to the unit as necessary.
· Minimum of an Associate’s degree preferred;
· Demonstrated ability of strong customer service skills;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· Prior experience as a Case Manager or Counselor and/or related experience;
· Demonstrated experience in the workforce development field or in a related sales capacity;
· Comfort working in a quota-driven and data-driven environment;
· Prior demonstrated placement experience/Proven ability to place candidates in sustainable jobs;
· Strong working knowledge of the five boroughs;
· Demonstrated resume development ability;
· Experience working with at risk and/or formerly incarcerated population/relevant personal experience a plus;
· Bi-lingual English/Spanish a plus;
· Demonstrated willingness to work within a team environment while also achieving, and maintaining, personal monthly goals;
· Proficient in MS Office; proficient in MS Outlook; intermediate knowledge of MS Excel; and
· We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Requires travel throughout the 5 boroughs to reach out to current and potential new employment partners; depending on clearance ability, may require travel to Rikers Island Correctional Facility.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online at: