Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
The Queens Public Library Foundation is a 501(c)(3) and 509(a)(1) and 170(b)(1)(A)(vi) non-profit organization whose mission is to raise funds for the programs, services, and materials for Queens Public Library.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Queens Public Library Foundation (QPLF), the Assistant Director of Individual Giving is responsible for managing and growing the QPLF’s individual giving program, including oversight of the direct mail vendor and managing a portfolio of major donors.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, works to ensure a robust donor pipeline program, with the goal of securing new gifts and gift upgrades and meeting targeted revenue projections.
- Oversees and collaborates with the direct response vendor in the planning, development, execution, expansion and evaluation of all integrated direct response campaigns.
- Works with vendor, Data Manager and QPL’s Marketing Department to develop and implement multi-channel communications to increase overall donor engagement and other strategies to achieve income targets.
- Ensures that all deadlines are met and that all messaging for campaigns, including acquisition, renewal and gift upgrades for lower and mid-level donors and prospects, are consistent with Queens Public Library priorities and communication guidelines.
- Develops the direct response program as an effective pipeline to the Major Gifts program.
- Manages the annual cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and renewal of a portfolio of Major Gift donors. This includes a variety of personal cultivation activities, including sending letters/emails, reports, newsletters, solicitations and personalized acknowledgements; personal calls; invitations to events.
- Act as primary relationship manager for board and executive level individual contacts and ensures that annual cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities are completed annually.
- Records all activities and interactions in Raisers Edge, using Moves Management system.
- Updates all major donor contact information regularly and consistently to ensure that database is correct and to facilitate efficient mailings.
- Conducts prospect and major donor research, including family foundations, donor advised funds, and other giving vehicles, to inform solicitations. Develops prospect profiles for board and executive team to prepare for meetings.
- Assists in team goal setting and meetings.
- Assists in budget management. Codes and submits all vendor related invoices; codes and submits all restricted individual gifts.
- Assists the Executive Director with special campaigns and planned giving outreach.
- Collaborates with the QPLF team on the successful planning and execution of QPLF’s annual gala and other special events, including cultivation events for major donors.
- Acts as primary liaison with Friends groups at Queens community libraries. Helps to set fundraising guidelines and advises Friends groups with fundraising activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus five to seven years of experience working in a strategic, front-line annual and/or Individual Giving fundraising position.
- Three years of experience managing direct mail or direct response program.
- A successful and demonstrated track record of personally identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors in a very fast-paced, mission-driven environment.
- Demonstrated experience using Raisers Edge or other development fundraising system, including Moves Management. Facility with all Microsoft Office programs.
- A collaborative style and demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- Highly organized, creative, proactive, detail-oriented, and able to prioritize with superior time management and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to meet short deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced, professionally rigorous environment.
Excellent verbal & written communication skills and demonstrated ability to articulate complex ideas clearly, accurately and concisely.