The elementary school culture associate provides support to scholars and the classroom teachers and is responsible for providing behavioral support to students, ensuring students are on task and that the behavior expectations established by the school culture are implemented.
We look for educators who are excited to embrace a restorative approach to discipline and who believe that family and community partnerships are crucial. Above all, we look for educators who are passionate and committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap in Brooklyn.
Why join Ascend Public Charter Schools?
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across 10 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls. By offering a rich liberal arts education in a supportive environment, we animate children's natural sense of curiosity and prepare students to think on their own, thrive on their own, and engage the world as informed, responsible citizens.
In school year 2017-2018 we will educate more than 4,000 students at five lower schools, four middle schools, and one high school. Ascend's college-preparatory liberal arts curriculum and warm and supportive school culture equip teachers with the tools to achieve exceptional academic outcomes and close the achievement gap in Central Brooklyn.
The elementary school culture associate provides support to scholars and the classroom teachers and is responsible for providing behavioral support to students, ensuring students are on task and that the behavior expectations established by the school culture are implemented. Additionally, the culture associate will:
- Provide classroom management support
- Provide 1-1, small group, and whole class assistance as needed to scholars
- Help unload bus scholars in the morning; speak to the drivers about behavior; follow up with Deans as needed to enforce bus policy
- Help monitor uniform compliance as scholars enter the building in the morning
- Maintain Culture Office hours during the day to receive scholars who are referred out of the classroom
- Input all behavior-related data into the Ascend data system
- Report all behavior referrals to the dean of students
- Attend and participate in Culture Team meetings and professional developmentMonitor In-School-Suspension scholars
Staff and reporting relationships
The elementary school culture associate reports directly to the dean of students.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification preferred
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Strong classroom management skills
- Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required