270 West 89th Street
Since our founding in 1825, B’nai Jeshurun (BJ) has been at the forefront of the American Jewish experience. As we approach our third century, our vision is focused on the spiritual work of transformation and on the creation of a Jewish spiritual path that is authentic and profound and helps each member seek and live their purpose to the fullest.
Our spiritual leaders, and our more than 1,600 member families, share a vision of a diverse, dynamic, and welcoming community that offers many paths to Jewish religious life, while supporting one another in their spiritual quests. We are committed to honoring tradition while re-imagining and innovating our practices and programs to create a vibrant Jewish life for the 21st century.
Our community is led by Senior Rabbi Rolando Matalon, together with a senior leadership team that comprises Rabbi Felicia Sol, who oversees all programs, and Executive Director/COO Colin Weil, who oversees administration, advancement, and operations. Spiritual leadership also includes Hazzan Ari Priven, Rabbi Erin Glazer, and Rabbi Marcelo Bronstein (part-time). BJ has a staff of approximately 40 full-time and 10 part-time employees.
BJ is in the process of implementing a strategic plan that was completed in spring 2015, after more than a year of intensive work by members and our spiritual leaders and staff. The plan is built around four pillars: Strengthening Community Connections and Building a Shared Sense of Belonging; Prayer, Music, and Spiritual Practice; Responding to the Prophetic Vision through Social Justice and Hesed; and Engaging and Supporting 21st Century Jewish Families in their full diversity.
The Community Engagement department, which touches on three of these four pillars—Community Connections, Prophetic Vision, and 21st Century Families—includes the following programmatic areas: Community building initiatives, Tzedek (social action and social justice), Israel, and Hesed (creating a caring community).
The Department Administrator, Community Engagement will support the Director of Community Engagement and various functions of the department overall. The scope of the work is logistical and administrative, with the possibility for oversight of specific events and community-building programs for the right candidate.
This position reports to Rabbi Shuli Passow, the Director of Community Engagement, and will interface with all members of the Community Engagement department, the programmatic staff, as well as congregants from across the BJ community. Standard working hours with occasional evenings and weekends, shortened Friday hours for Shabbat, and both secular and Jewish holiday closings make this a perfect position for someone looking for work/life balance in a meaningful workplace.
The successful candidate will be a resourceful, detail-oriented, and extremely organized individual who takes great satisfaction in attending to the myriad tasks that allow a professional department to function smoothly; displays a warm and professional demeanor at all times; possesses the flexibility to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment; enjoys managing event logistics; and is passionate about calendaring, spreadsheets, and to-do lists.
- Support the mission and work of the Community Engagement department
- Manage the department’s programmatic calendar and oversee logistics for events, programs, and community building projects (eg: room reservations and event set ups, food orders, materials)
- Maintain records of department programs in database (Salesforce), run reports as needed to support community engagement efforts
- Write and distribute email, website copy, and other communications
- Manage ushers and greeters for Shabbat and holiday services
- Provide hands-on support during membership and High Holy Days season (June-October) by overseeing some logistical aspects of High Holy Days production, and helping with mass mailings
- Provide other support to the department as needed, such as ordering supplies, sending out mailings, etc.
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Community Engagement
- Maintain Director’s calendar; organize and schedule appointments
- Prepare materials for meetings
- Process expenses, invoices, and requests for reimbursement;
- Maintain records and update database based on Director’s interactions with community members
- Other administrative duties as necessary.
- Welcome and Reception
- Interact with all visitors and community members as first point of contact by answering and directing phone calls and fulfilling reception duties, providing a hospitable and welcoming experience
- Respond to general queries and requests for information that come through the website, phone, and email
- Maintain supplies for office common areas
- Keep up to date with events, posts and programs listed in BJ communications to be able to respond to inquiries
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Minimum of two years work experience (project or event management experience a plus)
- Highly organized with superb attention to detail
- Experience interfacing with senior and executive staff and diverse constituencies
- Advanced proficiency in computer skills required, including experience with Microsoft Office, database management (Salesforce experience a plus), and G Suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize according to supervisor’s expectations in an environment with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment while remaining flexible, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Ability to anticipate needs and solve problems proactively
- Experience with a non-profit membership-based organization a plus
Personal Qualities and Values
- Self starter with an ability to work independently
- High emotional intelligence and maturity
- Warm and relational team player
- Willingness to listen effectively, seek and receive feedback
- Humble confidence, openness to being mentored
- Belief in stretching oneself and growing as a spiritual practice
- Sense of humor
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered to the right candidate.
Equal Opportunity Employment
B’nai Jeshurun (BJ), in recognition of its values, commitment to social justice, and responsibility to its employees, congregants, and the greater civic and national community is committed to equality of opportunity. To this end, BJ’s policy is to comply with the laws, regulations, and orders that provide for and impose obligations on employers with respect to the management of their equal employment opportunity programs.
Accordingly, BJ conducts its business and practices in a manner that fully complies with all federal, state, and local laws governing equal employment opportunity. BJ’s compliance with such laws are intended to eliminate discrimination against employees or applicants for employment on account of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, veteran’s status, disability, or other factors unrelated to a person’s ability to do the job.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.