Details: Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
2431 Morris Avenue
Commonwise is building a sustainable, equitable, and democratic Bronx economy that creates shared wealth and ownership for low-income people of color. We are doing this by developing a network of diverse partners and community enterprises—known as the Bronx Community Enterprise Network—which currently includes four major projects:
- A Policy and Planning Lab, a center for economic democracy planning and policy development—by, with, and for the Bronx
- The BronXchange, an online marketplace that connects Bronx institutions and nonprofits with high-road, local businesses in order to localize purchasing and build community wealth
- The Bronx Innovation Factory is digital fabrication center and business incubator focused on expanding local production capacity in the Bronx to support advanced manufacturing businesses with shared ownership models
- An Economic Democracy Learning Center, which prepares current and future partners to participate and lead the network; cultivates a culture rooted in economic democracy principles; and advances the collective understanding and knowledge of economic democracy based on experiences in the Bronx and from around the world
Job Title: Development and Communications Manager
Responsibilities: The Development and Communications Manager will be responsible for raising the grant funding for the annual budget of the organization and advancing the public presence of the work of the organization. Working with the Managing Director of Strategy and Planning, the Development and Communications Manager will be expected to manage the existing funding sources while increasing the grant driven revenue for the organization to fully support the organization's projected growth. S/he will be responsible for:
- Grant writing and reporting
- Philanthropic prospecting
- Maintaining grant tracking and reporting systems
- Managing and collaborating with the development consultant
- Working with program staff to maintain updated fundraising materials and prospective programmatic budget needs
- Designing and initiating individual donor development campaign
- Publish regular newsletter
- Maintain website and social media platforms
- Coordinate with all program areas to ensure appropriate, current stories and information are being disseminated to the public and our stakeholders
- Work with media outlets on a limited basis
Required Skills and Capacities:
- Grant writing
- Foundation prospecting research
- Ability to take complex subjects and communicate them clearly, simply, and powerfully
- Ability to translate jargon and technical language into straightforward communications
- Commitment to social inclusion, anti-oppression, racial, sexual, and economic justice.
- Strong research and communication skills. Need to be able to quickly and thoroughly research foundations, programs, boards, program officers, and track current trends.
- Familiarity with one of the following topics and fields: community and economic development, urban planning, social justice, community organizing, or related area.
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience.
- Comfortable working with technology platforms for communications, planning and management – including project management (e.g. Asana), online database systems (e.g. Airtable), and communications (e.g. Slack).
- Prior experience in any of the following:
- Individual donor development
- Grassroots fundraising
- Communications for organization or company
- Maintaining social media presence for organization or company
- Spanish fluency
- Experience living and working in the Bronx and NYC.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applying: Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Development & Communications Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
BCDI Education is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, source of income, past incarceration, status as a victim of an intrafamily offense, or place of residence or business. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination, which is prohibited by law, as is harassment based on any of the above-protected categories.