Details: Salary is commensurate with experience. Please indicate your salary requirements.
1111 14th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR) is hiring a Climate & Energy Outreach Organizer to engage health professionals in effective campaigns to fight climate change, halt dirty fossil fuels, and promote clean, renewable energy. This is a 20-hour a week position; the employee can help define the schedule.
About Physicians for Social Responsibility
Utilizing the authoritative voices of doctors, nurses, and public health professionals, PSR is changing U.S. policy through education and advocacy. We train and mobilize our members to educate policy-makers and the public that climate change is a health issue threatening us all. Our priorities for 2018 are to increase the commitment to 100% clean renewable energy and energy efficiency, and to oppose the use of methane (natural gas) as a fuel source.
PSR, a non-profit advocacy organization, works to protect human life from the gravest threats to health and survival. We assert our strong medical voice through actions conducted by our national office, individual members, and affiliate chapters across the country. PSR was the co-recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1985.
- We’re looking for a results-oriented, highly productive team member with strong outreach and interpersonal skills. This is a half-time position for an experienced advocate. Responsibilities include:
- Facilitate collaboration among PSR chapters to advance 100% clean renewable energy commitments.
- Support the program director in developing and executing projects that increase human health through increased energy efficiency.
- Educate and activate health professionals as spokespeople on the importance of sustaining the EPA budget and preventing regulatory rollbacks on policies protecting climate and health. Mobilize PSR members nationwide on these issues via periodic action alerts.
- Conduct periodic check-in meetings with network. Occasional evening calls required.
- Promote PSR's work using social media.
- Track metrics and meet quarterly and annual objectives.
Experience and Skills Required
- Minimum two years’ experience in hands-on outreach for a progressive cause.
- Comfortable with long-distance organizing.
- Ability to synthesize and clearly communicate complex material to health professionals, concerned citizens and decision-makers. Excellent writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to persuade, to problem-solve, and to respond with creativity.
- Proven record of achieving quantified goals and meeting deadlines.
- Motivated, hard-working, self-propelling. Able to work independently and with a team.
- Adept with social media.
- 4-year degree.
- Knowledge of climate change and energy issues.
- Experience working with communities of color, vulnerable populations.
- Course work or other background in environmental sciences and/or public health.
- Prior experience in federal policy engagement.
Start date: as soon as possible.
PSR provides generous prorated vacation and holidays. PSR also offers prorated health benefits for part-time work.
This is a mid-level position. It is part-time; the employee can help define a fixed schedule that meets his/her needs. Our small, friendly office in Washington, DC is metro-accessible.
PSR is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter with salary requirements, writing sample and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Climate & Energy Outreach Organizer” in the subject line. The recruitment process is open until the position is filled. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview. Sorry, we cannot cover relocation expenses.