The staff attorney or fellow will be an integral part of Juvenile Law Center’s team working to end fees and fines in the juvenile justice system, collaborating in a highly collegial atmosphere with attorneys, communications, development, and operations staff, and in partnership with colleagues around the state and country. The work will include policy research and writing, state policy organizing, and technical assistance to state teams working to abolish fees and fines. The position may also include legal research and writing and other duties as assigned. Juvenile Law Center is committed to equity and inclusion internally and in our work. We value youth voice and the candidate must be able to work alongside youth advocates to further our mission.
This is a three-year, grant funded position. Renewal is dependent on additional grant funding.
Essential Functions (include, but not limited to):
· Engage in policy research and analysis, including analyzing statutes and regulations and conducting fiscal analyses to support state legislative efforts
· Provide leadership and technical support to state teams working to abolish fees and fines in their jurisdictions
· Engage in legal and policy research and writing for amicus briefs, litigation, and national reports as needed
· Provide public education at conferences, convenings, and meetings
· The position may involve travel beginning in 2022
· J.D. required
· Individuals with up to two years of experience will be considered for the fellow position. Individuals with three or more years of experience will be considered for the staff attorney position.
· Demonstrated commitment to civil rights, racial justice, economic justice, and children’s rights
· Proven ability to work independently and engage in project management including a demonstrated ability to prioritize requests, track and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines, and support team members
· Excellent judgment, diplomacy, and professionalism including the ability to work well with people from different backgrounds, life experiences and levels of training and formal education
· Outstanding legal and policy research and writing skills
· Superb analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
· Curiosity and eagerness to continue learning new skills, grow professionally, and take an optimistic approach to new challenges
Additional Skills and Experiences Preferred
· Experience in state policy advocacy and fiscal analysis preferred
Note: Juvenile Law Center has a commitment to professional development and will actively support candidates in further developing their skills in these areas.
The Staff Attorney reports to the senior attorney. The Staff Attorney may supervise interns or fellows.
Work Location Expectation
Equitable/Inclusionary Hiring Practices
Juvenile Law Center’s mission is to advocate for rights, dignity, equity, and opportunity in the child welfare and justice systems. The diversity of our staff is critical to fulfilling this mission.
Juvenile Law Center seeks to minimize bias and the impact of structural racism in the fields we work in within our hiring practices. To that end, we focus on relevant skills and experience, and aim to de-prioritize information that can allow for implicit bias.
Juvenile Law Center is committed to advancing equity both internally and in our advocacy work. We recognize the urgency and necessity of actively building and supporting diverse leadership at Juvenile Law Center and in the field more broadly. We are committed to actively recruiting and hiring from communities most impacted by our work. Applicants working to advance equity and who identify with these impacted communities are strongly encouraged to apply and self-identify during the application process.
Juvenile Law Center is committed to cultivating an inclusive space that affirms and celebrates the backgrounds, learned and lived expertise, whole identities, and individual perspectives of our staff. We are committed to the diversity of our staff as it pertains to race, color, ethnicity, class, sex, marital or parental status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, size, disability, religion, national origin, and/or child welfare or juvenile or criminal justice involvement, including prior record of arrest, adjudication, or conviction. Applicants of all backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to self-identify during the application process.
Juvenile Law Center is an equal opportunity employer.
The staff attorney or fellow will be an integral part of Juvenile Law Center’s team working to end fees and fines in the juvenile justice system, collaborating in a highly collegial atmosphere with attorneys…
Juvenile Law Center offers excellent benefits, including employer paid health, dental and vision insurance for employees and their family, short- and long-term disability and life insurance, and employer contributions to 403b retirement plans. Paid time off includes fifteen (15) vacation days, five (5) personal days and twelve (12) sick days. Juvenile Law Center is closed for twelve holidays and for the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Juvenile Law Center offers excellent benefits, including employer paid health, dental and vision insurance for employees and their family, short- and long-term disability and…
Round 1: Submit your application by completing this form and email a single PDF containing your resume, list of three references and a writing sample to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Round 2: Candidates will be invited to schedule a 45-minute video interview with members of the hiring team.
Round 3: Finalists will be invited to two 45-minute interviews with members of the hiring team, the Chief Operating Officer, and staff from the relevant departments for the position. Following this round of interviews, candidate references will be checked.
Round 1: Submit your application by completing this form and email a single PDF containing your resume, list of three references and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will…