With offices in California and New York, Disability Rights Advocates (DRA) is the leading nonprofit disability rights legal center in the nation. DRA provides free legal representation to people with the full spectrum of disabilities in complex, system-change class-action cases. Founded in 1993, DRA has taken on and won hundreds of major class-action cases—achieving dramatic improvements for people with disabilities seeking health care, employment, transportation, education, disaster preparedness planning, voting and housing. For more information on DRA’s mission and impact visit www.dralegal.org.
DRA seeks a Development Manager who will report to the Managing Director, Development & Operations, and work closely with DRA’s management team, board of directors, and advisory boards. In this new role, the Development Manager will oversee and enhance a robust development program including annual appeals, grants, major gifts, annual galas, smaller events, and regular donor communications. Responsibilities will be strategic and tactical, including the identification and cultivation of new donors through the development and execution of a strategic national development plan.
The Development Manager’s role requires strong communication skills, tact, diplomacy, and a shared vision of creating a society that strives toward justice and fairness for all.
This is a full time, exempt position.
- Develop and implement a national fundraising plan including a donor communication plan to grow DRA’s profile and visibility
- Research, identify, cultivate, and successfully solicit gifts from individuals, foundations, and corporations including writing and reporting on grants, and managing direct email campaigns
- Plan and implement fund and friend-raising special events
- Implement and enhance DRA’s planned giving program
- Capture and report on all fundraising activity utilizing DRA’s Salesforce donor database; database is administered by DRA’s Development & Communications Assistant
- Commitment to DRA’s mission to advance equal rights and opportunity for people with all types of disabilities nationwide
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience with demonstrated success in identifying and securing funding from individual donors, corporations, and/or foundations
- Demonstrated success in establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with top executives, foundation officers, board members, and staff- experience working with lawyers a plus!
- Strategic thinker with demonstrated success creating and implementing viable fundraising plans with ambitious but achievable goals
- Knowledge of not-for-profit sector and philanthropic circles that can be tapped into for cultivation of new donors
- Prior development of digital philanthropy and social media engagement campaigns
- Excellent communications skills including strong writing abilities
- Confidence in both team and independent work
- Great attention to detail
- Strong computer skills; fluent in Excel and Word; comfortable using databases; Salesforce experience strongly preferred
- Strong problem solving skills
DRA offers a competitive salary dependent on experience, with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Cover letter noting salary requirements and how you learned about this role
- Writing sample
- Three references (at least one a direct supervisor)
Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability, veteran status, or any other category protected under the law.