733 Third Avenue, 3rd Floor
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society mobilizes people and resources to drive research for a cure and to address the challenges of everyone affected by MS. To fulfill this mission, the Society funds cutting-edge research, drives change through advocacy, facilitates professional education, collaborates with MS organizations around the world, and provides programs and services designed to help people with MS and their families move their lives forward. We partner with volunteers to accomplish our work. Staff members engage volunteers through effective and timely communications, facilitating meaningful opportunities, and continually seeking and providing feedback for reciprocal growth and learning.
The Controller is a member of the Finance Operations team, led by the VP of Finance Operations and will be responsible for oversight of accounting and reporting activities of the Finance Operations department including functional responsibility over general accounting, investment accounts, program and grant accounting, and banking procedures. A core responsibility of the position is to maintain a high functioning accounting team and lead the development of an effective, consistent, system of standardized processes to deliver timely and accurate financial reporting. The position will play a large role as the organization brings in an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solution. The position will act as the main point of contact for our external auditor, staff, and volunteers for questions related to general accounting of the Society.
1. Accounting and Operational Efficiency
- Responsible for accounting, and other financial system integrations.
- As part of a team effort, work with IT to implement an ERP system that is integrated with other Society systems, including but not limited to, Salesforce and the Data Warehouse.
- Oversight of month-end, and year-end closing for the Society.
- Oversee financial operations for general ledger, financial reporting for the accounting close process, and in collaboration with the Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable teams.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely recording of unrestricted and temporarily restricted gifts.
- Preparation of Financial Statements and supporting analysis to support CFO in engaging the board's Audit, Finance and Investment Committees.
- Partner with Strategic Finance staff to conduct variance analysis.
- Review of Statements and supporting documentation with the VP, Finance Operations, VP, Strategic Finance and CFO on a monthly basis. Ensure the integrity of all assets and liabilities, monitoring the appropriate write offs in a timely manner
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue and expenses.
- Oversee accounting and internal controls to support of the Progressive MS Alliance.
- Assist the VP, Finance Operations or CFO with any other special projects as needed.
2. Annual Audit, Filing, and Compliance
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure that financial information is secured and in compliance with current legislation.
- Act as the main point of contact for the Society's external auditor and ensure the timely completion of the audit.
- Manage the team to ensure that year-end analysis and communications are completed and distributed by established deadlines.
- Prepare a schedule for the annual fieldwork with external auditor and provide all of the Prepared by Client requests as well as all sample selections.
- Preparation of the Society's annual audited statements, including the statement of functional expenses and supporting foot notes.
- Preparation and review of the annual IRS Form 990 and its supporting schedules.
- Preparation of additional compliance reporting, as necessary to manage all state, county and municipality tax filings.
3. Treasury & Investments
- Ensure that the Society's operating accounts are adequately funded.
- Approve cash and wire distributions based on the Society's cash flow.
- Manage banking procedures to optimize the return on the Society's cash assets.
- Management of signatories on the bank accounts.
- Oversee tracking, reconciliation, and reporting for all of the Society's investments, including stability reserves, endowment and charitable gift annuities
- Preparation of monthly cash flows analysis.
4. Team Leadership
- Collaborate with the AVP, Payroll and Benefits; maintain resources to support payroll functions and organizational goals
- Lead a team of 14 Accounting Managers and Accountants
- Identify training needs to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
5. Volunteer Engagement
- Engage volunteers, effectively communicating and facilitating meaningful opportunities across all functions.
- Partner with volunteers to accomplish our work
- Cultivate volunteers, seeking and providing feedback and sharing opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Will be required to work at several Society events and programs outside of normal business hours throughout the year.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science preferably in Accounting or Finance
- Candidates must be a highly motivated, independent and organized self-starter with 10 years related experience in a financial management role with excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Staff supervision experience including at least 5 years of managing accounting staff. Experience with consolidated financial statements
- Excellent oral, written and presentations skills.
- Ability to communicate with sensitivity, tact and professionalism.
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential matters.
- Knowledgeable of GAAP and other non-profit accounting laws and regulations
- IRS Form 990
- Advanced EXCEL skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Commitment to the mission, vision, cultural values, and expectations of the National MS Society
- (IF APPLICABLE) This position will be required to drive/travel on Society business. Candidate must possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance and reliable transportation. The Society does run motor vehicle checks for all positions which require driving and the applicant must meet the Society guidelines.
- (IF APPLICABLE) Availability to work occasional nights and weekends to support events, committee meetings, etc
Professional License/Certification Required:
- CPA preferred
- MBA a plus
- Previous controllership for a large organization preferred
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society provides a highly competitive, comprehensive benefit package to employees. These benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter by applying directly to the job posting located on our company website: