District of Columbia
We are looking for an Operations Manager with at least three years experience in accounting, basic financial management and office administration, including HR. The hired candidate will couple their solid organizational skills with a passion for social impact. They will have excellent attention to detail, a pro-active attitude, and enjoy working with a team while benefitting from a remote and flexible work environment. The ideal candidate will be confident, self-motivated, organized, and eager to join our passionate, impact-driven, and humor-loving team.
About Open Road Alliance
Open Road Alliance is a private philanthropic initiative that provides grants and loans to fill a market demand for fast, flexible contingency funding. The world is unpredictable – from delays in committed funding to government policy changes, good organizations run into unexpected obstacles. To address this funding gap, Open Road offers fast, flexible funding to nonprofits and social enterprises facing discrete, unexpected roadblocks during project implementation via two portfolios: Charitable Grants and Loans. Open Road Loans are below-market-rate and disbursed via our loan fund, Open Road Ventures. We have no sector or geography focus – our focus is to keep impact on track. This approach ensures that the impact of the original project preserves the ROI of the original funder’s investment, and generates significant leverage for Open Road. In addition to its portfolio of investments, Open Road conducts research, develops tools, and generates data on best practices for risk management in philanthropy. By disseminating learnings around risk management and advocating for the adoption of best practices, Open Road is working to make risk management as commonplace in philanthropy as monitoring and evaluation. For more visit www.openroadalliance.org
The Operations Manager is the backbone of Open Road’s operations including HR, Finance, and Virtual-office management. The Operations Manager will work directly with the Executive Director and other Open Road staff to manage and support the organization’s daily operations and other administrative needs. The Operations Manager will be responsible for managing operational expenses, generating simple budget v. actual reports, maintaining up to date HR policies, supporting staff logistics, and additional administrative support as outlined below. The Operations Manager will also have the opportunity to create, grow, and refine Open Road’s financial, HR, and operational protocols. The Manager will work directly with the ED to identify areas for improvement and increased efficiency as our team continues to grow. Open Road is a “21st Century” work environment and does not operate out of a fixed office. We leverage technology and digital communications on a daily basis to stay connected and foster an efficient and effective working environment. This will be a remote position with regular virtual and occasional in-person meetings with Open Road staff.
• Manage company credit card, including tracking receipts, verifying approved purchases, and preparing monthly expense reports
• Verify, review, and approve reimbursement requests
• Manage and process vendor invoices, contracts, and retainers
• Track and prepare quarterly organizational budget v. actuals
• Assist ED in creation and management of annual operational budget(s) across multiple budget categories and sub-budgets
• Prepare basic financial modeling for future, multi-year, budgeting HR Management & Administration
• Review and approve weekly payroll for hourly accounts
• Ensure that all HR documentation is current and up to date including Employee Handbook, Operating Manual, and other documents
• Develop, write, codify, and train staff on needed updates to HR policy and procedure. Such policies may be related to best practices in HR such as talent management, diversity, equity, inclusion, performance incentives, and more.
• Work with ED and Director of Social Investments to create and implement a robust and standard onboarding/training program for new staff Office Management & Operations
• Assist ED and Founder in coordinating calendars and scheduling meetings with internal and external stakeholders, as needed.
• Assist ED and other staff with travel arrangements and other business-related logistics, as needed
• Review and manage all rental agreements, assist in identifying shared office spaces, as needed
• Assist with administrative office tasks such as handling select email inquiries, arranging logistics for staff retreats, assist with mailing/postage, etc.. IT Administration
• Assist communications team in management and maintenance of Open Road universal address book and CRM tool(s).
• Assist ED in implementing and managing appropriate data security protocols.
• Assist ED in identifying autonomous and efficient technology and software solutions to preserve our flexible, remote work environment as we grow. Education, Skills and Personal Characteristics
• Bachelor’s Degree highly desired
• Accounting or other financial management degree or certificates highly desired
• 3+ years experience with accounting, budgeting, and basic expense management
• Experience working with HR protocols and compliance
• Excellent attention to detail, time management, and organizational skills
• Highly communicative, proactive approach to work assignments
• Critical thinker • Self-directed and able to work in a remote environment
• Good sense of humor • Absolute and unquestioned integrity
• Personal interest in/commitment to social impact, justice, and community development
Hours, Schedule, & Location Average of 20 hours per week; with an opportunity to increase hours over time. Hours to be worked during daytime hours Monday through Friday. Open Road operates on a flextime work schedule. Precise hours to be determined with the hired candidate. This is a remote-based position. Candidates based in DC, NY, or eastern Kansas are preferred.
Compensation This is a part-time non-salaried position. Compensation will be paid in hourly increments. The hourly range for this position is $22-27/hr depending on experience and location. This position does not include medical or retirement benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply • Email résumé and cover letter to email@example.com • Ensure the subject states “Operations Manager—[YOUR NAME]” • Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please allow up to two weeks to be contacted. We regret that we are not in a position to personally respond to all applicants.