Full Time Contract
Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
Democratic Republic of the Congo
The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to promote human rights, alleviate human suffering, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health conditions. The Center seeks a highly qualified, motivated and energetic consultant with extensive experience working with data, statistics, elections, parallel vote tabulation, and/or sample-based observations to serve as a short-term Sample-Based Observation (SBO) Consultant in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
TCC’s overarching goal in DRC is to promote accountability, transparency and respect for human rights through strengthening the capacities of both civil society actors and government institutions. In 2007, TCC created the Human Rights House (HRH) in Kinshasa as a vehicle to build a vibrant citizenry to hold the government accountable. Following involvement in the 2011 Presidential and Legislative elections in the DRC, the Center has been working closely with local Congolese CSOs to strengthen their capacity to advance a more credible electoral process based on democratic elections standards. With the approach of the presidential and legislative elections currently scheduled for Dec. 23, 2018, TCC is engaging in an early pilot SBO exercise with a local CSO partner to prepare for the possibility of a larger SBO or Parallel Vote Tabulation (PVT) during the elections.
Working with the Center in the DRC, the SBO Consultant will be primarily responsible for designing and implementing a pilot SBO exercise with citizen observers. This person will work in close consultation with the DRC Citizen Observation Program Manager to provide guidance and training to the Center’s partner on the implementation of the Pilot SBO. This position will be based in Kinshasa, but may require travel to the provinces. The activity is presently scheduled for implementation as early as May 2018.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
The qualified candidate will have all or most of the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 10 years’ practical experience working with data, statistics, election monitoring, parallel vote tabulations, and/or sample-based observations;
- Formal training in statistical data analysis, data management, and/or quantitative research;
- Thorough understanding of the political context in the DRC;
- Demonstrated experience working with institutions and organizations supporting parallel vote tabulation and/or sample-based observations;
- Excellent written and spoken French, with a working knowledge of English and local languages being an added advantage;
- Excellent analytical and report writting skills;
- Excellent training, facilitation and communication skills; and
- Results driven, able to work within a dynamic cultural team under pressure and to meet required deadline.
Under the supervision of the Citizen Observation Program Manager, the primary responsibilities of the SBO Consultant will be as follows:
- Train local partners on the methodology of conducting SBO;
- Assist with the process of identifying an SBO sample;
- Design /development of the SBO pilot exercises;
- Development of checklists and/or additional training materials for the SBO exercise;
- Training and mentoring local partner on implementing an SBO;
- Monitoring and analyzing the implementation of the SBO;
- Provide guidance to local partner on analyzing data collected through SBO
- Draft an activity report identifying strengths and weaknesses identified during the exercise, next steps to prepare for possible full-scale SBO, and recommendations; and
- Any other duties associated with the pilot SBO that may be assigned.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written and spoken French, with a working knowledge of English and local languages being an added advantage.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All applicants must submit their updated CVs, letter of motivation, and contact information for three referees via email to email@example.com. PLEASE INCLUDE “SBO Consultant” IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR APPLICATION. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. No direct personal communication is permitted; applicants who engage in this will automatically be disqualified.