Streetwork Project is the oldest street outreach program for homeless and street-involved youth in New York City. The program has grown from its beginnings in 1984 as a storefront project to encompass both outreach and comprehensive harm reduction services. The core service is long-term, one-on-one counseling, which is offered in a non-judgmental and holistic manner utilizing a harm reduction approach that focuses on building trust, fostering self-esteem, exploring options and choices, and empowering youth to change their high-risk behaviors.
As part of our continuum of services, we provide overnight outreach in teams of two seven nights a week (7 pm to 2 am) (4pm-2am), (5pm-2am), (11pm-7am) throughout the five boroughs of New York City. The Manager, Outreach provides support to the team by occasionally working evening and Overnight hours to meet the most disenfranchised youth while they are in crisis. The Manager, Outreach will work to increase collaboration with other community based organizations that provide services to the target population. Develop strategies to engage underserved groups i.e. young men of color, men who sleep with men, transgender identified individuals and IV drug users. The Manager, Outreach ensures successful delivery of the Outreach program’s services to clients, while providing supervision and oversight to direct reports.
Essential Job Functions:
· Learn and integrate a trauma-informed, client-centered approach, using an anti-oppressive lens, into your work with clients. Coach and guide staff in their client practice that reflects these approaches.
· Provide supervision to seven Outreach Youth Advocates;
· Provide on-call evening and Overnight supervision to relief workers at Streetwork’s emergency crisis shelter
· Conduct street outreach to homeless and street involved young people;
· Ensure support and guidance for crisis intervention situations
· Serve as an advocate and liaison for clients negotiating the shelter system and other social service programs;
· Manage all outreach supplies;
· Ensure smooth functioning and regular maintenance of outreach vehicles.
· Develop resources for referrals to youth service organizations and shelters;
· Collaborate with the Manager of EMPOWERMENT and the Coordinator of CAPP on all HIV outreach prevention program needs and services;
· Collaborate with other community based organizations servicing at risk youth
· Co-facilitate monthly HIV, STI, and sexual health drop-in groups;
· Conduct in drop-in outreach providing youth information on outreach and locations;
· Attend and participate in program leadership meetings, staff meetings, supervisions, trainings, and conferences
· Lead outreach staff meetings, conduct staff trainings, weekly supervision, and arrange appropriate training workshops provided by external constituents.
· Provide supervisory support to the drop-in milieu as needed
Supervisory Reports: Youth Advocates (7)
Secondary Job Functions:
· Provide late night on call supervision.
· Other duties as assigned
Interacts with: Safe Horizon staff
DYCD partners in continuum of care
Knowledge and Skills:
· Knowledge and comfort working within a harm reduction setting,
· Ability to perform crisis intervention
· Demonstrated experience working with youth, trauma, and victimization
· Leadership and supervisory skills
· Ability to balance administrative responsibilities, client needs and task management skills,
· Strong oral and writing abilities
· Valid NYS Driver’s License with no suspensions and fewer than 3 points required
· Bilingual Spanish
· A Bachelor’s degree in social services or related field, liberal studies or any field related or equivalent relevant experience.
· Work with homeless youth, LGBTQ youth and/or youth with substance use issues, working in a harm reduction setting.
· Three (3) years’ experience providing staff supervision, in roles where leadership skills were displayed
· Street outreach experience; as a job function or in a peer capacity
Other: Full-time position, evening and overnight shifts.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:
Streetwork Project is the oldest street outreach program for homeless and street-involved youth in New York City. The program has grown from its beginnings in 1984 as a storefront project to encompass both outreach and…