88 Broad Street, 8th floor
Vice President, Development
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. We foster a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
Join us as we build a future that works! www.jff.org/jobs
About the Opportunity
The Vice President, Development (VP) will report directly to the President and CEO and serve as a member of the JFF Executive Team. In partnership with the Executive Team, the VP will develop an organizational framework, approach, and comprehensive plan for a highly effective and successful development program aimed at advancing the JFF New Horizons organizational vision. He or she will be responsible for coordinating and growing fundraising and development activities, and for forging new relationships to build JFF’s visibility, impact, and financial resources.
Annual fundraising and revenue amounts are expected to grow significantly in the coming years. The VP’s role will be central to executing strategies and activities required to secure funding from philanthropic, corporate, and government sources; this includes increasing funding from individuals and other unrestricted sources. The VP will have the opportunity to shape and drive a plan that strengthens overall fundraising capacity, enhances culture, systems and processes, and successfully expands the funding pipeline.
The principal duties and responsibilities of the position include:
- Partner with the President and CEO, Executive Team, Associate Vice President of Development (AVP), and senior program staff to develop and execute fundraising and business development strategies.
- Serve as a senior leader for the organization, contributing to strategy and key decisions.
- Develop and implement a framework and plan for creating a JFF culture of philanthropy where development and program staff have an increased knowledge and understanding of fundraising and business development best practices, as well as best in class systems and processes.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fund development program that cultivates deeper supporter ties through creative and effective stewardship of current major donors, and that broadens funding to include major individual donors and other new institutional and government funding.
- Lead the planning and launch of a growth capital campaign in two years that will include expansion of JFF funding base through major gifts and core organizational support.
- Work closely with the board of directors and support them as they take on a more active fundraising role.
- Drive coordination of business development across all JFF program units, ensuring alignment with strategic priorities.
- Collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) to develop and implement JFF’s financial strategy
- Provide oversight and strategic direction of the JFF funding proposal process, including directing department staff responsible for proposal development, funder reporting, funder research, analyses of funding awards and pursuit, and award review and approval.
- Provide internal and external thought leadership of major trends among funders and overall shifts in the market. This includes monitoring and identifying funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position JFF.
- 10-plus years as a senior development professional, with a proven track record in building sustainable high-performing development programs and a demonstrated history of developing successful relationships with institutional funders and high net worth individuals
- Knowledge of strategic planning, national caliber fundraising, donor acquisition, research, engagement, stewardship, reporting and overall management
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, and to be a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside JFF
- High energy and passion for JFF’s mission is essential
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail and ability manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
Visit our careers page to apply with your resume, cover letter. (Please don’t forget the cover letter, we are excited to learn more about you!) Our team will review applicants, contact qualified candidates, and share more about the job.
This is an incredible time to join JFF which, celebrates 35 years this year and offers the best of an established and an entrepreneurial organization. Want to know more about life as a JFFer?
Some perks include:
- Retirement matching AND contribution
- Health care paid at 90%
- Tuition reimbursement & professional growth opportunities
- Flexible schedules
- Pre-tax commuter benefit
Thanks for your interest in JFF!
Minimum Education Required