1087 East Tremont Avenue
PO Box 5002
Organization: Bronx River Art Center
Job Title: Bookkeeper
Status: Consultant/Weekly in-house bookkeeping
Job Address: 1087 East Tremont Road Bronx, NY 10460
Organization Background: Bronx River Art Center (BRAC) is a 31-year-old, culturally diverse, multi-arts, non-profit organization that provides a forum for community, artists and youth to transform creativity into vision and practice. BRAC’s Education, Exhibition, Artist Studio and Presenting programs cultivate leadership and talents and the stewardship of a shared natural resource - the Bronx River in our urban environment,.
BRAC is currently returning to its 18,000 square foot building after its extensive renovation at 1087 East Tremont Avenue at West Farms. BRAC is conveniently located just steps from the East Tremont Stop on the 2 & 5 subway lines, and a few blocks south of the Bronx Zoo. At this time, BRAC is reinstating its multi-disciplined programming in arts education, professional artist studios, and visual and performing arts presentation. BRAC’s new building is a major new cultural asset in the heart of the Bronx and a central gateway to the new Bronx Greenway.
The BRAC workplace culture is friendly and committed to the value of arts and cultural education and promoting environmental justice for underserved communities. BRAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Summary: BRAC seeks a qualified and dedicated bookkeeper to work closely with the Executive Director and Fiscal Management Consultant to maintain the financial records of the organization and perform general bookkeeping tasks on a part-time basis, approximately two days per week. This position is responsible for a diverse array of activities including, but not limited to: A/R, A/P, assistance with payroll and benefits administration, fiscal filing and some assigned project work. Ability to assist the ED and Development Officer with grant budgets is a plus.
Skills and Responsibilities:
· Process cash receipts transactions from the mail, in-house and on-line.
· Prepare bank deposits and posts receipts to the accounting system.
- Produce invoices from the accounting system for services rendered on contracts.
- Process vendor payables, credit card payables, employee expense reimbursements. Prepare checks for signature.
- Code payables as appropriate based on operating budget guidelines. Ensure proper approvals and verify account codes/classes.
- Reconcile monthly credit card statements and petty cash.
- Collect W-9’s from all vendors during the year and coordinate preparation of 1099's at year-end.
- Maintain the General Ledger.
· Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
· Add new employees to and updates employees in the payroll system and benefit programs upon notification and receipt of authorizing documents from the Executive Director.
· Process payroll bi-weekly. Transmit payroll after approval by Executive Director.
· Track and maintain sick/vacation pay for full-time employees.
· Process Sales Tax report annually.
· Performs other duties as assigned from time to time by the Executive Director and Fiscal Management Consultant.
- Minimum of three years progressively responsible accounting or bookkeeping experience including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, general ledger and financial reports.
· Experience working in a fast-paced environment with high attention to detail a must.
· High School Diploma or its equivalent required. Associate or bachelor’s degree a plus.
- Non-profit accounting experience required.
- Expert MS Office, QuickBooks and internet skills.
- Experiences with NYC Contract compliance a plus.
· Ability to work independently and make decisions in accordance with established policies and regulations.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both oral and written.
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently with ease and professionalism.
· Ability to work well with people at all levels.
· Must maintain confidentiality at all times.
Salary: $25/hr to $30/hr, commensurate with responsibilities and experience
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
Due to the pace of the search, candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, and applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Applications must include:
· A cover letter describing your interest, qualifications and salary requirements
Email your application to: email@example.com and enter “Bookkeeper Application” and your name (Last, First) in the subject line of your email.
BRAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to a diverse workforce.
Minimum Education Required