CAPACITY BUILDING SPECIALIST (PART-TIME CONSULTANT), PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY
PROGRAM DIRECTOR, PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY
ABOUT FAIR CHANCE
Fair Chance envisions a world where every child succeeds. We strengthen the sustainability and performance of community-based nonprofits to achieve life-changing results for children and youth experiencing poverty. We select nonprofits ready to take their leadership and organizations to the next level and provide them with a customized 6-24 month work plan aimed at strengthening the nonprofit's impact, sustainability, and success—free of charge. Since 2002, Fair Chance has partnered with over 120 nonprofits, tackling issues from job readiness to health, literacy to homelessness. Together, we've reached more than 100,000 children youth and families and are laying the groundwork for deepening programmatic impact and geographic expansion. For more information, please visit www.fairchancedc.org.
PROGRAM AND POSITION OVERVIEW
Fair Chance recently started working with nonprofits in Prince George’s County, MD, in partnership with Venture Philanthropy Partners (VPP), through a grant from the County Council. We are currently working with a total of eight nonprofits in two three-year cohorts and are about to select a third cohort to begin a three-year partnership in early 2020. The work in Prince George’s County is a replication of the same unique and proven partnership model Fair Chance has been delivering in Washington, DC with minor customization for the particular needs of the County and for our collaboration with VPP.
The Capacity Building Specialist provides direct support in the implementation of this program by working extensively with the executive directors, boards, and staff of community-based nonprofits to build their capacity to serve more children and youth. The successful candidate will serve as a coach and builds trust, respect and reciprocal relationships with nonprofit leaders. This position reports to the Capacity Building Program Director and works collaboratively with a team of professional and support
Duties and Responsibilities
Deliver targeted capacity-building assistance to two or three youth serving community-based nonprofits located in Prince George’s County.
- Work with executive directors of community-based nonprofits to assess their capacity building needs and co-create customized organizational development work plans that align with their identified priorities and areas of growth.
- Provide organizational management support to fit individual leadership styles with an emphasis on continuous learning, action planning and systems development. Areas of capacity building work include: executive coaching; board development; program design, implementation and evaluation; fundraising; human resources; financial management; communications; and planning and strategy.
- Hold in-person meetings with the Executive Director or other relevant staff or board members to accomplish capacity building goals.
- Co-design and facilitate quarterly workshops and trainings.
- Administer program assessments and submit written status updates to communicate progress towards achieving programmatic milestones. Participate in program planning, implementation and status update meetings.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate documentation of capacity building work and ensure all reporting requirements are met.
- Meet regularly with the Fair Chance Program Team for organization-wide learning and planning, inter-program sharing of accomplishments and challenges, and program operations discussions.
- Contribute to the creation and development of the Fair Chance capacity building resources by researching, enhancing, and adding to our knowledge base and tools relative to capacity building work.
- Develop and prepare community-based nonprofit stories and information as requested for Fair Chance’s communications and development needs.
- Represent Fair Chance and build visibility with community residents, community leaders and other nonprofits in Prince George’s County.
- Attend and actively participate in internal meetings, as needed.
The Capacity Building Specialist will be highly energetic, with demonstrated achievement in previous capacity building roles, a commitment to youth development, and an established understanding of the community issues and nonprofit sector in Prince George’s County.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience providing organizational development and/or technical assistance to nonprofits.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in the following areas: executive coaching; board development; program design, implementation and evaluation; fundraising; human resources; financial management; communications; and planning and strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree required; academic degree or certification in organizational development or nonprofit management preferred.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Demonstrated knowledge of adult learning styles, participative training design, group dynamics, interactive learning methods, systems theory and quality improvement processes, principles of customer service, conflict resolution, group process facilitation, presentation skills and project management.
- Understand issues faced by grassroots organizations serving children, youth and families experiencing poverty in urban setting.
- Understanding of race and equity, an awareness of one’s own biases, and the ability to bring that understanding and awareness to the work of Fair Chance.
- Experience implementing racial equity strategies and addressing diversity, equity and inclusion in community-based nonprofits.
- Experience with curriculum development, especially around board development; program design, implementation and evaluation; fundraising; human resources; financial management; communications; and planning and strategy.
- Experience conducting organizational assessments in the following areas: board development; program design, implementation and evaluation; fundraising; human resources; financial management; communications; and planning and strategy.
- Exceptional relationship-building, listening, coaching, and interpersonal skills; Ability to work with varying work styles and meet people where they are without judgement; Collaborative and team-oriented working style.
- Self-starter with strong organizational and time management skills; Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook required. Familiarity with Salesforce, FormAssembly, and Box preferred.
- Humility, wisdom and strength of character.
- Flexible, energetic, positive, and passionate about Fair Chance’s mission is essential.
The compensation for this part-time consultancy is calculated at an annual rate of $25,000 per nonprofit.
Fair Chance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity—we are and want to continue to be people of multiple ethnicities, identities, perspectives, and life experiences. We believe and respect how this strengthens our work. Therefore, we are seeking qualified candidates from all backgrounds who believe in our mission and align with our values.
How To Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to the link above.